Helping a hive that re-queened itself

Default Helping a hive that re-queened itself

New hive from a package this past spring. The queen was a drone layer right from the beginning. They decided to re-queen themselves at the beginning of August. I took a peek yesterday and the new queen is doing really well. 5 full frames of capped brood and plenty of eggs and larva.

I have some left over pollen patties. Would I be doing any harm if I put some in the hive?

They are bringing in pollen on their own and the goldenrod is ready to pop.

Also, I want to do a mite count but I really don't want to mess with the new population building going on. Should I wait, treat, ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Helping a hive that re-queened itself

There is no point adding patties when you have plenty of pollen coming. Put your leftovers in a plastic bag and store in a freezer till later this year or next spring.
    As for testing - if there are any mites majority will be under capped brood. If you have a screened bottom and see significant drop on to your sticky board every day (like more than 5) then do actual alcohol wash test and go from there.

it sounds like the hive had a brood break which will help with the mites. But this time of year one always has to assume the worst as the bees are raising winter bees. I would go ahead and test, your not going to disrupt the colony that much.
    Rod

Thanks for the insights. Had problems logging in for some reason. Anyway...

This package has had a higher percentage of drones than any other hive I have had/seen. When I checked in late July there was virtually no brood/eggs/larva. Plenty of stores. Also, a number of supercedure cells in various stages. I culled all but the nicest looking. I let them do their thing and when I checked the other day beautiful frames of capped brood with other brood in the works.
    A significantly less number of drones also.

When they do a brood break, is there a complete lack of brood? Or just less brood. Also, they had plenty of capped and uncapped honey and pollen.