Best way to insulate and ventilate my hive for winter in Iowa

Default Best way to insulate and ventilate my hive for winter in Iowa

Hello all,

First year beekeeping and I am trying to get prepared for the winter here in Iowa. I am planning to wrap my hive with insulation and add a foam insulation board to the top of my hive. What are your thoughts for the best way to ventilate my hive? Is the smallest entrance reducer opening enough at the bottom? If I shim the top inner cover about 1/4 - 3/8 inch in the front is that enough to ventilate?

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Best way to insulate and ventilate my hive for winter in Iowa

I plan on doing the same. Foam around the sides and Vivaldi boards with fondant and burlap in the top for moisture. From what I've read on this site you don't want any gaps for air to get in other than the normal entrance and inner cover. I too would like to hear more experience guys chime in for our area of IA and NE. I'm sure Michael Bush will have good info for us.
    "Never slow down, just go around." Me, until i started keeping bees.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcher View Post
    Hello all,

First year beekeeping and I am trying to get prepared for the winter here in Iowa. I am planning to wrap my hive with insulation and add a foam insulation board to the top of my hive. What are your thoughts for the best way to ventilate my hive? Is the smallest entrance reducer opening enough at the bottom? If I shim the top inner cover about 1/4 - 3/8 inch in the front is that enough to ventilate?

Any suggestions?
    I'd suggest talking to someone at your local bee club (Heartland based in Cedar Rapids). As a first-year beekeeper, you can get some good info from those who have been experience overwintering.

Well, the climate is very different here in Texas, so I have some doubts that my recommendations will work for you in Iowa.

The U of Minnesota has developed a poster that will answer your inquiry about hives in northern winters - here is the link:

https://www.beelab.umn.edu/sites/bee...poster_163.pdf