Foundationless source? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Foundationless source?

My stacked dado set will only cut up to 13/16" wide. Good thing as the spindle won't hold any more blades and still be able to put the nut on. But the idea is sound. Perhaps a router with the fence set to leave a strip or wedge shaped profile? Texas, I get it, but if said animal does not exist, do you just go home?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Apparently Forest Breeze is no longer selling foundationless frames. I need to check with Shastina and see if they would still make them. If so I'll buy a stock of them and see where things go from there...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Apparently Forest Breeze is no longer selling foundationless frames. I need to check with Shastina and see if they would still make them. If so I'll buy a stock of them and see where things go from there...
    it looks like they might still, it's just their store site is out of order.. http://forestbees.com/beekeeping-store
    Started April Fools Day 2017

Quote Originally Posted by R_V View Post
    it looks like they might still, it's just their store site is out of order.. http://forestbees.com/beekeeping-store
    RV:

The last time I spoke with Forrest, he mentioned he was planning on making them on a 'made to order' basis. So one might contact him directly and work out terms of an order.

That said, I noted that Foxhound Bee Company is offering both assembled and un-assembled foundationless frames- while the price looks expensive on its face, I also can't find where Mann Lake sells assembled frames without foundation? Assuming this is true, they appear to be a bit cheaper than a bundle of 10 frames from Mann Lake with Rite Cell foundation before shipping is taken into account:

https://www.foxhoundbeecompany.com/l...tionless-frame

https://www.foxhoundbeecompany.com/l...tionless-frame

+1 for Foxhound. I've bought from them in the past and will again.
    off subject but I really like the jacket I bought from them.
    Started April Fools Day 2017

Somehow my feed didn't show all the posts about forest bees narrow foundationless frames. My bees like them and I've still got a few dozen.

JWPalmer, do you ever have the bees bite through the mono? It's not been a huge problem, but 1 or 2 per box. I tried 60# braided, and they don't chew through it, but they do seem to avoid attaching to it some.

Yes, on a few frames one of the strands will be chewed through, usually not until the comb is fully drawn and attached. A few frames also have small spots where they avoided the mono line, but these are small areas. In most cases the line is incorporated into the rib and invisible. I have a hive that is actively drawing out a deep that I gave them almost three weeks ago. I'll post pictures of their progress.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasFreedom View Post
    Coal Reaper,

Any chance you have better pictures of his frames? The one picture he has at https://foresthillbeesupply.com/stor...tegory=8604205 is just fuzzy, and he doesn't have pics of each of the varieties. A few years back I mis-ordered 'wedge' top because I was thinking that was foundationless. It seems like a nice little company and prices are reasonable. But it's hard to put all the info needed out there and have time to actually run the business!

BTW, for everyone who keeps posting how easy it is to make regular frames into foundationless, I get it. I've done it. But I have 2 reasons I'm ignoring those comments. #1: For me I don't have the time to modify 100's of frames every year when instead I can just buy the right one in the first place. #2: I'm teaching newbies who are trying to get the basics... to explain construction to them is one more step. I don't want to get into that, I want to focus on the bee part of the teaching. (let alone I'm sure I'd hear the nonsense questions like "are lollipop sticks non-GMO wood? how long / how thick / it didn't work so come fix everything for me... sigh). Instead I say go to ___ website and buy ____ parts, and deal with them if you have questions.
    same here I tried 100 of the F Style last year and I really like them, I should have ordered 1000 , would have if I knew they were discontinuing them.
    Adding in to see if someone finds a source.
    GG

I miss the Kelly F frames, I even offered to buy 1000 from ML since I knew they do own the machines that made the F frames, they did not even see fit to answer my e-mail, which I thought very rude, especially since I am a regular customer of theirs, I would like nothing better than to find another source ( for everything. ) I string mine with 50 # cheap fishing line, I found it works much better than 20 # line.

Quote Originally Posted by stan.vick View Post
    I miss the Kelly F frames, I even offered to buy 1000 from ML since I knew they do own the machines that made the F frames, they did not even see fit to answer my e-mail, which I thought very rude, especially since I am a regular customer of theirs, I would like nothing better than to find another source ( for everything. ) I string mine with 50 # cheap fishing line, I found it works much better than 20 # line.
    just wondering if the "urge" to take the foundation less off the List is due to the fact that they cannot sell the foundation.
    I.E. F frame 85 Cents, Non F frame 85 cents for the frame and buck of so for the foundation. So "steering" folks away from the F frame is more $$

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    just wondering if the "urge" to take the foundation less off the List is due to the fact that they cannot sell the foundation.
    I.E. F frame 85 Cents, Non F frame 85 cents for the frame and buck of so for the foundation. So "steering" folks away from the F frame is more $$
    I received an order with some foundation frames from Kelly this week. Kelly is now shipping mann lake manufactured frames instead of manufacturing them at Kelly.

The differences between the kelly frames and the mann lake frames that I have from last year are:
    Mann lake ones have the corners of the top bars chamfered, the kelly ones are square
    The side bars are cut a bit different
    the top bars from Mann lake are a bit thicker.

Based on the fact that the new kelly frames match my old mann lake ones I think mann lake shut down the kelly frame making line(s) when they bought kelly.

The nuc I received from kelly this week matches the boxes from kelly that I got last year. The shape of the handholds between kelly and mann lake are different, so I am assuming they are still making boxes (atleast nuc's) at the kelly factory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12