where did it come from?

Default where did it come from?

At my bee yard one of my hives has esssentially been \a dead out and has been siting with only a super for several months I drove my tractor about 30 feet from it and was attached by what seemed like hundreds of bees that were very angry. I ran back to my house.Can't count the stings but thanks for Benedryl. Prior to the attack I saw numerous bees in front of the hive which I thought was unusual. I also saw what looked like orientation flights but I am certainit wasn't robing as there was nothing to rob. All the other hives were calm and active. I went back with a bee suit and smoker and they were much better but still somewhat unpleasant, Does anyone know have any idea as to how this hive populated and what might have caused the uproar. This hive swarmed about 2 months ago and never produced a new queen or so I thought.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: where did it come from?

The timing is right for it to have requeened itself, even if you did not see a queen cell. Other option is that a strong swarm moved in, basically took over the hive. As far as pissed off, they might be on the hungry side and I doubt they much cared for the tractor. Most of the time I can mow alongside my hives without a suit, unless they are not being fed well during the summer.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Default Re: where did it come from?

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    The timing is right for it to have requeened itself, even if you did not see a queen cell. Other option is that a strong swarm moved in, basically took over the hive. As far as pissed off, they might be on the hungry side and I doubt they much cared for the tractor. Most of the time I can mow alongside my hives without a suit, unless they are not being fed well during the summer.
    In a couple of days I will suit up and look inside. We still have some flow and golden rod is behind schedule. I have been doing this for 10 years and have not had this happen when I was not near enough to bother them. Perhaps the noise from the tractor. I will report back.