Pollen Color Chart?

Hybrid View

Default Pollen Color Chart?

We live in a rather rural area of Western Washington State. Our nearest neighbors are invisible from a human line of site with most land owned in blocks of 5-100 acres. Lots of time surrounds us. And while I can see what's flowering and growing in and around our pastures, that's about it. So when I see the bees coming back this time of year with different color pollens gathered, other than the orange from our own dandelion lawn/garden, I have no idea what they are bringing back. It's moot to them, though I am curious George about stuff like that. Are there any accurate pollen color charts that might be either state or region specific for the US available online?

Default Re: Pollen Color Chart?

I have not found a color chart specific for Western Washington. I think this Wikipedia site is still the best (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pollen_sources).

The popular pollen species my bees bring back look like the following (do Google search on the code to get the color).

Cherry (#a8692a), March - April
    Willow (#ebae3d), March - April
    Dandelion (#eb721c), all year
    Big-leaf maple (#838554), April
    Tulip poplar (#d9d07e), June
    Blackberry (#747a6d), June
    Knotweed (#a8a772), August
    Ivy (#e8af13), September - October
    Zone 8, elevation 70 ft, near the north end of Lake Washington

Default Re: Pollen Color Chart?

[QUOTE=Kuro;1750391]I have not found a color chart specific for Western Washington. I think this Wikipedia site is still the best (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pollen_sources).

Thank you. That's the one I found also. Even went so far as to generate a spreadsheet with tabs using the data there. It will help some, though lots of voids.