Shade ground cover nectar

Default Shade ground cover nectar

Hi all, I think it's a lot of fun to plant for bees and I like the maximize every niche in my yard. I have a large section of shady ground and I wanted to try to see if I could make it attractive for the honeybees. So far my one plant idea is prunella (self heal). Creeping Charlie and violets are already there but I'd like something that blooms later in the year. Any other suggestions for this kind of area?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Shade ground cover nectar

English ivy is #1 bee-friendly shade tolerant late bloomer here but probably you do not want it (invasive). Winter heath and Christmas rose (hellebore) can be grown in part shade but I donít know whether they start blooming in fall or wait until early spring in your Zone. Not a ground cover, but Japanese anemone in part shade can attract honey bees. I have seen autumn crocus in part shade and fall blooming hardy cyclamen in deep shade (not quite sure how attractive they are to honey bees).
    Zone 8, elevation 70 ft, near the north end of Lake Washington

Default Re: Shade ground cover nectar

As Kuro said, you don't want English ivy. Speaking from experience, English ivy spreads like wildfire and is nearly impossible to kill. On top of that, I never saw any bees on mine, which was along a forest edge in a shaded area.

Yup I'm actively getting rid of English ivy. The only flowering form is when it's mature on a tree anyway. Too bad clover can't compete in the shade