Late August swarm cells?

Default Late August swarm cells?

Went into one of my biggest hives today and found a bunch a capped and uncapped Queen cells in the brood chamber. Not sure how I got to this point? Checked all my other hives and they all have the same amount of room and this one is the only one swarming. There are eggs so the queen is still in there. And the brood nest is not back filled at al. Lots of capped brood. know itís really late in the year to be doing splits. I know itís probably to late to stop them but any thoughts would help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Late August swarm cells?

Pull the queen and make the split. If the new queen doesn't get mated, recombine in a month. If you let them swarm, you lose the queen, a bunch of bees, and run the risk of the new queen not getting mated with no recourse. Note which hives these are and be prepared for the same thing to happen next year. I have a hive that likes to swarm in September. Two years in a row, same hive. Ready for them this year.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Pull the queen and make the split. If the new queen doesn't get mated, recombine in a month. If you let them swarm, you lose the queen, a bunch of bees, and run the risk of the new queen not getting mated with no recourse. Note which hives these are and be prepared for the same thing to happen next year. I have a hive that likes to swarm in September. Two years in a row, same hive. Ready for them this year.
    Thanks, found her moved her and a bunch of nurse bee's and put the feed on them. Any concern that some of the cells i found were supersedure cells?

You’ll find out if they are supercedure cells once your nuc gets going, if she’s failing or substandard they’ll not stand for it.
    I’ve had that before where even queen sisters will swarm quicker than the other, it all depends on the attitude of the colony if the want to reproduce or not. You might have a linage that is going to be undesirable for you and consider ending it.
    Rod

By the way you described it, they are swarm cells. My experience is that supercedure results in a lot fewer cells being made. Rod is right also, if she is failing, the bees in the nuc will start supercedure cells too.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I have one colony that seems similar. Queen still there, eggs still there, many cells started all over frames, not typical bottom of frames position. Pulled queen up above snelgrove board. Some cells on those frames got tore down. I destroyed cells in bottom box and they made more! I destroyed more and I think they are stymied now. Plan to introduce new queen when there are no more makings for queen cells. Queen above the board is laying away merrily. Will recombine.

Sometimes they are hard to figure!
    Frank