What recourse do I have? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What recourse do I have?

Well, I got a surprise email from my HOA today. After my challenging them on 2 points:
    1. How and why are my bees considered a nuisance?
    2. Before I got bees I thoroughly checked the covenants and nowhere does it say anything about bees.

the email I got stated... "Consider the matter closed."
    My bees can stay! I still plan on going to a board meeting and verifying the issue. Thank you for all the advice. I am quite surprised it was resolved this easily.

Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by srockey View Post
    Well, I got a surprise email from my HOA today. After my challenging them on 2 points:
    2. Before I got bees I thoroughly checked the covenants and nowhere does it say anything about bees.

My bees can stay! I still plan on going to a board meeting and verifying the issue. Thank you for all the advice. I am quite surprised it was resolved this easily.

Steve
    Very good.
    For now.
    Stay alert.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Steve
    Wow, you have an HOA that actually has some common sense. Sounds like you are in good shape.

Great news! Still might be a good idea to pass around a few small jars of honey to the neighbors. Be wary of the ones that refuse your gift as they will be trouble later. First time a wasp stings someone, they will be at your door.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Great news! Still might be a good idea to pass around a few small jars of honey to the neighbors. Be wary of the ones that refuse your gift as they will be trouble later. First time a wasp stings someone, they will be at your door.
    The "anonymous" neighbors of mine took the honey - not a problem.
    Then complained anyway (maybe the reason they went underground when complaining - since they took the honey).
    On the other hand, those same neighbors are very quick to say all the right things, like - "I will ALWAYS come to you and talk in person first, BEFORE complaining away.....blah, blah".
    Never say never, I guess.

PS: you ask me HOW do I know to blame these neighbors?
    because I am one of THE original residents on my street and know few people around
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

In Florida make sure you are a registered apiary. According to my bee inspector this makes all the difference. His words were,"if you are registered no one can make you move them".For registration go to Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services---Division of Plant Industry. A word from them might help with the HOA. Florida laws tend to be bee friendly.
    54+ years 16 colonies Treat using OAV
    http://99-40.com

I can pee off all sides of the house, and STILL hand out free honey to the immediate neighbors. Figure it cant hurt. strategic bushes/fence help too - you cant tell the bees where to go, but keeping them out of sight helps too.

Glad it sounds like things are resolved for now!!

Steve
    That means your a go for 10 more hives
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4y..._as=subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by gone2seed View Post
    In Florida make sure you are a registered apiary. According to my bee inspector this makes all the difference. His words were,"if you are registered no one can make you move them".For registration go to Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services---Division of Plant Industry. A word from them might help with the HOA. Florida laws tend to be bee friendly.
    I would make sure that you’re registered with the state. They can be very helpful in situations like yours. If you want the inspectors name and number PM me and I’ll get it to you or just call them. If you’re in the area that starts with a V get ready.

My bees can stay! I still plan on going to a board meeting and verifying the issue.
    Since you got it in writing, going to the board meeting to "verify" will only unnecessarily re-raise the issue, with no possible benefit to you. I'd follow the Board's advice and consider the matter closed. I'd also start handing out honey like mad to everyone in your area.
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    Since you got it in writing, going to the board meeting to "verify" will only unnecessarily re-raise the issue, with no possible benefit to you. I'd follow the Board's advice and consider the matter closed. I'd also start handing out honey like mad to everyone in your area.
    +1.
    Hold onto that paper and make no more unnecessary noises.
    Cultivate positive relationships around - honey bribe giving generally should help.
    When next time incident comes along - get the support testimonies from your "honey customers".

You do not say what size the hives are.
    You will need to keep a close eye on their temperament. They have an amazing ability to go from nice to nasty with a small increase in size.

well done.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

First time a wasp stings someone, they will be at your door.
    So very true JW!

Make certain you are in compliance with state and local laws and, for the love of Mike, keep a low profile. Advertising your beek hobby to the neighbors all too often results in secret or not-so-secret enemies, especially in rat-fink infested HOAs.
    Never ask a barber it he thinks you need a haircut.

The state of Florida allows 3 hives on neighborhood property unless the HOA has a specific rule against bees.
    Lobby your state legislator (work with other beeks and beekeeping clubs) so that municipalities and municipal like organizations (HOAs) cannot prohibit beehives but can regulate quantity (establish a minimum) according to property size. Other states have enacted similar laws.
    Zone 5B

...I got a letter from the company managing the HOA telling me that I need to remove the "Nuisance" bee hives in my yard.....
    This is why all my neighbors get a pint of honey every year. Bribed neighbors don't complain.
    A cold bee smoker is bad for the soul.

Steve
    Not to be a jerk, but I'm guessing it has a lot to do with your hive's location. If they're close to your neighbor and they happen to be allergic (or even not and they still get stung) then I can see their point. I mean, a couple of hives can equal 60000 bees or more flying in the vicinity. Gentle or not at least one is likely to sting at some point. And then what about swarms? OMG, think of the pictures your HOA neighbors can provide when they can't get their mail because a huge swarm of "mean" bees decide to make camp in their mailbox.

In conclusion, if you want to own a house and do what you want, never buy into an HOA or condo. You've already had problems. Get the hell out while you can.

I live in Florida as well, and it is my understanding that beekeeping is regulated at the state level. I believe this changed in 2012 when legislation was passed to prevent local governments from interfering with beekeeping.

I'm glad things worked out for you. For now.
    Best that neighbors are unaware that you have hives at all. Whatever you can do to hide them.

I once bought honey from a man in Grovetown. I was like where are your hives. He pointed to a stump in the yard and said that was one. I had no idea....
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

Quote Originally Posted by tycrnp View Post
    I live in Florida as well, and it is my understanding that beekeeping is regulated at the state level. I believe this changed in 2012 when legislation was passed to prevent local governments from interfering with beekeeping.
    You are correct. Local governments in Florida are restricted from regulating beekeeping. An HOA, however, is not a government entity. Arbitrary and capricious HOA covenants are why I'll never live in one.
    A cold bee smoker is bad for the soul.

Move my bees or move my furniture ? Do you like your unit for now?

I don't mind peeing in a toilet if I have to. Lived in the city for over 15 years (well a Maine city) liked that too.

Plenty of room now to pee out the back door, though the front is awfully close to the road.

I've managed condo rentals before, boards blow every which way depending upon turnover. Today is today with any group of people with any amount of power.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast