What recourse do I have? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What recourse do I have?

Quote Originally Posted by blainenay View Post
    You are correct. Local governments in Florida are restricted from regulating beekeeping. An HOA, however, is not a government entity. Arbitrary and capricious HOA covenants are why I'll never live in one.
    I know where I live the local town rules have a clause in the chicken section that HOA's may impose higher levels of restrictions than the town rules. There is no such clause for beekeeping in the town rules about beekeeping so I don't think my HOA can actually do anything about me having bees. It also helps that my neighbors on the side of the yard with the hives grew up on a farm and do not have any problems with bees.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Antarctica View Post
    Never buy a house that you can't pee of the front porch of..
    LMAO,, Plus 1 agree.

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
    I know where I live the local town rules have a clause in the chicken section that HOA's may impose higher levels of restrictions than the town rules. There is no such clause for beekeeping in the town rules about beekeeping so I don't think my HOA can actually do anything about me having bees. It also helps that my neighbors on the side of the yard with the hives grew up on a farm and do not have any problems with bees.
    Ummm Yes they can. If you read the fine print of almost every HOA , it will eventually say in some fancy lingo,, "we reserve the right to change these rules if we feel motivated" I just moved, and I have read thru the rules of 3 or 4 HOA's actually called 2 of them and the Bees are either "pets" or Livestock" The HOA has appointed itself Dominion over this. You can ignore, In writing ask for the evidence of the Nuisance is a good idea. End of the day, I did not move into an HOA, I do not "thrive" in a place where some busy body tells me what to do. And my advice is to find a Realtor, or a local farmer who would allow your bees to be on his ground. I have done Both, I like my new place BTW and the farmer likes the bees there as well. Life is too short to put up with HOAs, in my opinion.
    GG

Everyone needs an outyard. If you run into neighbor problems, simply move your hives to the outyard. These conflicts escalate, and the beekeeper is (virtually) always the loser.

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    Everyone needs an outyard. If you run into neighbor problems, simply move your hives to the outyard. These conflicts escalate, and the beekeeper is (virtually) always the loser.
    Concur,, Dogs bite and it is blamed on the dog owner. Bees sting so lets go after the bee keeper. If your neighbor hood allows and are nice about your bees then you are typically lucky as it just seems to not go that way as often

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    Agreed.
    I have been preaching - before you ever get your first bees - arrange for the plan B (an out-yard).
    Maybe the out-yard will even become the primary yard for some people.
    If you don't have a plan B (or don't want to be bothered about it), maybe you should not keep bees.

People don't get that.
    Unfortunately, the propaganda of soft and friendly, striped bugs (looking just like yellow jackets) is really strong and starting with the kids.
    Then we get surprises.
    My other neighbor got a bumblebee in his house 1-2 years go - thought it was probably from me.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by srockey View Post
    Well, I got a surprise email from my HOA today. After my challenging them on 2 points:
    1. How and why are my bees considered a nuisance?
    2. Before I got bees I thoroughly checked the covenants and nowhere does it say anything about bees.

the email I got stated... "Consider the matter closed."
    My bees can stay! I still plan on going to a board meeting and verifying the issue. Thank you for all the advice. I am quite surprised it was resolved this easily.

Steve
    If you have a fenced in back yard i'd add another enclosure of 6 foot fence and close them in totally. Not seen and not an issue. However whoever complained already will continue to. So to enjoy your bees start shopping for another location. Just in case. Last thing you want is a neighbor spraying raid on them.
    HOA's seem like dystopian nazi's created them. Whats in the rules doesnt even matter as they can change them at will. Not sure why anyone would give up that much freedom. sucks that you have to waste any energy on this foolishness.
    BTW op bees are considered livestock like cows and chickens so i'm guessing they are going to change the language to be more vague.
    Terrence

I live in a neighborhood with an HOA. Before I got bees I carefully went through the deed restrictions. There was, and still is, nothing about honeybees. I live in Central Florida. The state of Florida allows 3 hives on neighborhood property unless the HOA has a specific rule against bees. As stated before, there is not a rule. There are rules that say no cows, pigs or chickens. As you can guess though, I got a letter from the company managing the HOA telling me that I need to remove the "Nuisance" bee hives in my yard. I wrote a letter asking them to show me in the covenants where it says no bees...it has been 2 days, and no response. Any suggestions on how I can remedy this situation peacefully?

Thank you,
    Steve
    I received a similar letter a few years ago... 2010 or 11 maybe. Anyways, I had way more than 3 hives behind my office building. They went to the township and wanted me to remove my bees because they were pooping on their cars. lol

They never told me they were having this special meeting and it was in the paper... yes the whole nine yards. Came into my yard and took pictures.

I did nothing... I did reduce the number I had back there down to about 12-15 and this year I only have 8 or 10 depending. There were 10 but I moved two to another location.

I even received letters for their attorney and a phone call from her. I told her to do what she thinks she must, but the bees are there and not hurting anyone. She said she spoke with another beekeeper and he said that we are only allowed

3 hives or should only have 3 hives where he was. Well, I am NOT living in Pittsburgh and tell that to every other commercial beekeeper. LOL She went on and on about what I needed to do and what will happen if I don't and thought she

could use all her scare tactics with me, but I am far to old and wise for her BS.

I am still waiting for her next move. *smirk*

PS. I have a fence around mine to keep out the animals. I put up a camera in case idiots tried to spray them.
    "Where wisdom is called for, force is of little use."
    Herodotus (circa 485-425 BC), Greek Historian

In some states honey bees are defined by law as "livestock." if your HOA uses that terminology in your covenants you may be out of luck. I hope they stick to references to pigs, chickens, ducks and geese."

Quote Originally Posted by Beecd View Post
    In some states honey bees are defined by law as "livestock." if your HOA uses that terminology in your covenants you may be out of luck. I hope they stick to references to pigs, chickens, ducks and geese."
    That would be great for me as I could legally eradicate the bear(s) that's been destroying my hives the past few years.

"If you have a fenced in back yard i'd add another enclosure of 6 foot fence and close them in totally."

Unfortunately, the fence would likely be a violation of the HOA.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo3 View Post
    "If you have a fenced in back yard i'd add another enclosure of 6 foot fence and close them in totally."

Unfortunately, the fence would likely be a violation of the HOA.
    Fences are not usually a violation. That would put fencing companies out of jobs.

I think checking the local ordnance would be where to start, or contact a fence company and have them install it.

They know what they can and cannot do.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglerock View Post
    Fences are not usually a violation. ......
    In our HOA fences are forbidden.

Well, I have a live fence - these are landscaping feature and are allowed.
    Only took about 5 year to grow up to the spec 6 feet.
    I really love my hedges.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    In our HOA fences are forbidden.

Well, I have a live fence - these are landscaping feature and are allowed.
    Only took about 5 year to grow up to the spec 6 feet.
    I really love my hedges.
    Hedges would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglerock View Post
    Hedges would be awesome!
    Yes.
    It may cost OR have to have patience.
    I spent $30 for a beg of hedge material (Amur Privet).
    I also waited 4-5 years - had no bees yet - was not a problem.
    Now, I have the thing that is worth A LOT.

Tell them to go to Hell and start another hive.

My bees can stay! I still plan on going to a board meeting and verifying the issue.
    Steve
    Steve(srockey) I'm super happy things turned out the way they did so far! Excellent news.
    Please be sure to update us on what happened at the meeting and let us know if you took any further steps to ensure that the HOA and your neighbors stay off your back.

Thanks

It’s been a while and a lot has happened. After the HOA management company said ok, about a week later I got a “get rid of the bees letter.” From the HOA attorney. I questioned the reason and they said I have an “agricultural enterprise” being conducted in a residential neighborhood. Huh? Can you say hobby? Anyway I went to the homeowners meeting and pleaded my case. In the end it was 1 neighbor who complained. She thought the beehives would lower her property value when she tries to sell her house. I have talked to the neighbor, they will not change, they will not listen. The homeowner association president asked if I could move the hives to the other side of the yard. I asked for 2 weeks. They said ok. The neighbor was still not happy but she cannot see the hives any more. Sadly I think she is not done complaining. We shall see. After the meeting, I had 2 families come up to me and ask if their kids could come see the bees.

We currently live in a neighborhood and have a large lot, 0.47 acres on a retention pond. I would love to live out in the country, but that sadly is not not possible. I have, though, secured 2 alternative locations if the worst happens here in the neighborhood.

Hey if they want to see the bees you may get another beekeeper in the neighborhood and get more interested there also and help your cause.

Does a garden constitute an "agricultural enterprise" also? Time to go to Google Earth and see what is in your neighborhood.

Personally, I would tell the HOA that it is not their fight as you are not breaking any rules and they should tell the 1 complainant to go pound sand.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast