Old frames and racoons

Default Old frames and racoons

I left a couple of brood boxes with 10 frames each near my bee yard to have the bees clean them out. They were from dead outs ..... last year. I noticed the racoons had a feast and were eating some comb and honey on many of the frames. Can they still be used or are they contaminated?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Old frames and racoons

Quote Originally Posted by Plannerwgp View Post
    I left a couple of brood boxes with 10 frames each near my bee yard to have the bees clean them out. They were from dead outs ..... last year. I noticed the racoons had a feast and were eating some comb and honey on many of the frames. Can they still be used or are they contaminated?
    Despite having feasted on the deadout frames, the raccoons can still be harvested. As far as the combs for the bees reuse I would not consider the coons contact to be much worse than something a dog or bear had roughed up. By the time the bees repair the comb and give it a polish of propolis and wax, I would not worry about its previous history.
    Frank

I read an article that racoons have a very high percentage of rabies and other diseases, so I was concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Despite having feasted on the deadout frames, the raccoons can still be harvested. As far as the combs for the bees reuse I would not consider the coons contact to be much worse than something a dog or bear had roughed up. By the time the bees repair the comb and give it a polish of propolis and wax, I would not worry about its previous history.

The odds would be awfully long. Most such infection would have to break the skin. Propolis and honey are both quite bactericidal. I am assuming you were giving the frames back to the bees to clean up for re populating rather than personal harvest.
    Frank

Yes I wanted them to clean up.Wont use for honey but rather brood next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    The odds would be awfully long. Most such infection would have to break the skin. Propolis and honey are both quite bactericidal. I am assuming you were giving the frames back to the bees to clean up for re populating rather than personal harvest.