Heating up crystallized honey

Default Heating up crystallized honey

I was going to go to the Farmers Market with honey for the first time.Had some one pound bottles already filled but crystallized. Friend in bee club said heat water up to just below boiling, take of stove and put bottle of honey in it. Didnt seem right to me. So I heated the water to 130-140F, Set the bottles in the water and just cleared up beautifully and tasted maybe the best I have ever had.
    Now I know that I killed a lot of good and beneficial items that were in that honey. I know I killed some antioxidants but what else did I do. What damage did I do? I know some people heat their honey some. Is it still raw if its just heated a little. Please give me some info on heating honey. I would like to sell raw honey, What if it crystallizes????If I heat it is it still raw. Someone fill me in on heating and what if anything I should do to take honey to the farmers market. What damage does heating do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Heating up crystallized honey

worry more about the quality of the honey that you start with. overheating it will have some affects. but you don't have to do it that way. for small unlabled amounts you can put it at 110 or use a crock pot. slowly heating it instead of the 140. takes longer but does no damage.
    For labeled jars or larger amounts including buckets build a heat box with a 100 watt light bulb. basically an insulated box. this will work over the course of a few days.
    Terrence

Your friend gave you good advice and it appears that you know what overheating honey does to its components. Take your friend's advice and kaizen's. I don't sell honey, but if I did I would have some information at my stand educating people about bees, honey and crystallized honey. I would be sure that your labeling is accurate. Some states would prohibit you from stating that you are selling "raw" honey because you heated it. J

This time of year I set jars on my cement front porch. Most times it just take a day. In the winter I use a continuous heating pad and a styafoam cooler. Or a light bulb with a temperature controller in a wood box. All ideas working for a temp around 104 degrees. Do a search subject comes up a lot.

Small batches can be put in the oven with the oven light on overnight.
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”

The oven with the light on works great and temps, at least in my oven, are around 90 degrees