Maxant Bottling Tank: 16 gallon v. 25 gallon

Default Maxant Bottling Tank: 16 gallon v. 25 gallon

I am about to order a Maxant Bottling tank and I am still debating between these two sizes. Cost difference is $300. Not really worried about the cost difference. I will need a little bit of portability as I do not have a permanent, dedicated honey house. So weight and cumbersomeness of moving this thing around is likely my primary factor. I understand that I will not be able to move either of them with the water jacket full or filled with honey. I am talking about the dry weight of the tank with heating element and appurtenances.

Any insight anybody can provide me on this? Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Maxant Bottling Tank: 16 gallon v. 25 gallon

I would call or email maxant. They should be able to tell you the size and weight of both tanks, they need to know this info for shipping.

I got a Dadant nine gallon tank for $150 a few years ago but this week we are having to add to it five times with five gallon buckets because we need that much heated honey. I really need a 25 gallon tank so that we can pump right into it. But in my case I have a dedicated honey extracting room so cumbersome size is irrelevant. Usually bigger is better.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

At elmer fud's suggestion, I contacted Maxant. The 16 gallon tank is 86lbs and the 25 gallon is 110lbs.

I have the 25 gallon Maxant tank. I can lift fairly heavy items so it's not too bad for me to carry from one spot to another. I think it is worth the price difference of the 16 gallon.

If you're concerned about it, you can get a hydraulic lift cart from Harbor Freight for around $150 or so. With that, you can wheel it around and even raise the full tank for bottling (if you're very, very careful).
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

Quote Originally Posted by e-spice View Post
    I have the 25 gallon Maxant tank. I can lift fairly heavy items so it's not too bad for me to carry from one spot to another. I think it is worth the price difference of the 16 gallon.

If you're concerned about it, you can get a hydraulic lift cart from Harbor Freight for around $150 or so. With that, you can wheel it around and even raise the full tank for bottling (if you're very, very careful).

I bought the 16 gallon tank last year. It is easy to lift when empty, but I put it on a medium duty kitchen cart that is rated to hold 300+ pounds. The tank sits on the wooden table top of the cart. There are baskets below to store bottling related items. This puts the height of the valve just about right to fill bottles while sitting in chair without your back getting sore. We do the extracting in my father's garage, so when not in use, we simply roll the cart over to the corner or somewhere out of the way. You can get the carts at Costco, Walmart, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by richardbr View Post
    I bought the 16 gallon tank last year. It is easy to lift when empty, but I put it on a medium duty kitchen cart that is rated to hold 300+ pounds. The tank sits on the wooden table top of the cart. There are baskets below to store bottling related items. This puts the height of the valve just about right to fill bottles while sitting in chair without your back getting sore. We do the extracting in my father's garage, so when not in use, we simply roll the cart over to the corner or somewhere out of the way. You can get the carts at Costco, Walmart, etc.
    How difficult is it to pour 5 gallon buckets of honey into it on top of that cart? Do you use a step stool to get some elevation?

Up to this point, I use a small ladder and a pail holder that maxant sells. I did purchase a pump earlier in the year to eliminate that step but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I don't fill the pail all the way to the top. I put maybe 3 or 4 gallons in at a time and this makes the lifting and pouring easier.

After pouring in the 3 or 4 gallons from the pail, how long does it take for bubbles (and wax particles, if any) to rise to the surface? Put another way, can bottling occur on the same day as honey is added to the bottling container?

I prefer to let it sit overnight, but, due to my travel schedule, about half the time I extract and bottle on the same day. We will extract in the morning, and then let it sit in the tank for a few hours, and bottle in the evening. This has worked out ok - we've won some county and state awards doing despite not letting it sit overnight and still have good demand for our honey. The small amount of wax floats to the top by then and we can skim most of it. Or, it "pollutes" the last couple of bottles and we just keep them for private consumption instead of selling them. Much like the extractor, I do tip the tank when the honey is getting low in the tank just to get everything out of it. Just my opinion, but I think it works out ok because the bottling tank heater keeps the honey at a hive-like temperature and this tends to allow the bubbles and wax to rise more efficiently than if done in an unheated bucket.

As a disclaimer, I should point out that I've only been doing this for four years, so my sample size for answering your questions are pretty small.

Harbor freight sells a nice lift cart that would work great for a bottling table. Lower it to fill and raise it up to fill. I have a 25 and 83 gallon ones. Do the 25. I use the 83 for a settling tank.

Quote Originally Posted by e-spice View Post

That lift cart is awesome. Lower to fill, raise to bottle. Easy to roll around.
    I havenít found the need to be very careful at all.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    That lift cart is awesome. Lower to fill, raise to bottle. Easy to roll around.
    I haven’t found the need to be very careful at all.
    My harbor freight in this area is having a 25% off coupon day on labor day fyi

I'm thinking I need a bottling tank as well. got a lot to do this year. is maxant hands down the best or is lyson close in there? What about a no drip valve on a large brew kettle with a heating pad strapped to it or some other warming device? looks like i could piece that together for about 300. Anyone do something like that and think its better then maxant?

I'm really eyeing a bottler where you just put the bottle under and it pumps it in. guessing i'd need a heated source for something like that?
    Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post

I'm thinking I need a bottling tank as well. got a lot to do this year. is maxant hands down the best or is lyson close in there? What about a no drip valve on a large brew kettle with a heating pad strapped to it or some other warming device? looks like i could piece that together for about 300. Anyone do something like that and think its better then maxant?

I'm really eyeing a bottler where you just put the bottle under and it pumps it in. guessing i'd need a heated source for something like that?
    I put a Maxant One Drip Valve on a beer keg and strapped a warming blanket around it. It wonít decrystalize honey, but other than that, works great. If you search through my old posts, thereís a pic.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!