My beetle trap is working ???

I am trying a new beetle trap this year, they are thin CD cases with pollen patties and roach killer (boric acid) in the center. I'm not finding any adult beetles though; my hives aren't infested but occasionally my bees will chase them to the sides and I'll squish them. Still debris being blown or drug inside the traps, and there are dead mites. So I don't know if it's working for adult beetles, they are just dying elsewhere, or it's just being used by mites instead?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tomkin; 08-20-2019 at 08:05 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: My beetle trap is working ???

Boric is slow acting and beetles eat a little and die elsewhere so you hardly see them dead in there.They die and bees haul them out of the hive.I have used it and it really gets them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkin View Post
    it's just being used by mites instead?
    It isn't this. There isn't anything that you've put into that cd case that will attract any mites.
    PS....I find it a bit difficult to believe that shb are a significant issue in Indiana.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkin View Post
    I am trying a new beetle trap this year, they are thin CD cases with pollen patties and roach killer (boric acid) in the center. I'm not finding any adult beetles though; my hives aren't infested but occasionally my bees will chase them to the sides and I'll squish them. Still debris being blown or drug inside the traps, and there are dead mites. So I don't know if it's working for adult beetles, they are just dying elsewhere, or it's just being used by mites instead?
    straight "roach killer (boric acid)" or some kind of mixture?
    Started April Fools Day 2017

Quote Originally Posted by snapper1d View Post
    Boric is slow acting and beetles eat a little and die elsewhere so you hardly see them dead in there.They die and bees haul them out of the hive.I have used it and it really gets them.
    I'd try mixing the boric acid into the pollen patties.

My experience is that the beetles run into the traps to escape the bees....then they nibble on the bait. Then they die inside the trap.
    This can be very effective with the right bait.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    PS....I find it a bit difficult to believe that shb are a significant issue in Indiana.
    They are in northern Illinois, so I imagine they are in Indiana as well. Nasty things.

Is boric acid a problem if the beetles crawl out into the hive and die? Would enough get spread out to hurt bees? I'd be surprised but don't know. Is it a problem for the honey crop?

I have wondered the same thing about beetles leaving the traps and bees getting a taste of boric when hauling the dead beetles out.One thing for sure the boric pollen sub mix in traps will definitely kill beetles.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    They are in Southern Michigan too.
    Last edited by Tomkin; 08-21-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gino45 View Post

I'd try mixing the boric acid into the pollen patties.
    Yeah I mixed pollen patties with the acid.