Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

A cove cutting jig for making bee box handles

14K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  adson 
#1 ·
I was not satisfied with the different handles I have on my bee hive boxes. But I found one that was quick to make and made a few minor changes to suit my purposes. I'm pretty happy with it and I'll be using it for all of my boxes in the future and will change the handles on existing hives as opportunity presents itself.

#9 ·
No dimensions but the sled will have to accomodate the length of your bee boxes which is probably 19 7/8 or just a little more since you'll have to take into account that you'll need to tilt the box into the jig. If you are cutting handles into the ends, then you'll need to split the difference ( 19 7/8 - 16 1/4 = 3 5/8 ) of 3 5/8 ( 1 13/16 ) and make a spacer on each end of 1 13/16. And again, account for the slightly extra space you'll need to tilt the box into the jig.

The slides are 2" in diameter if I remember right. You use 1/4 of the circle for each slide.

I don't remember how wide the sled is but it has to accomodate a deep hive and you have to calculate where you want the handle to be cut. These dimensions don't have to be really really exact.

#12 ·
That is pretty slick!

I usually just cut a slot with the dado blade, but cut it about 2 inches from the top. That way it is easy to see which is the top. I have a little jig to get the slot more or less centered.

The only problem with that is that the bottom doesn't shed water as well as a cove would.

I might try this, as I need to make some boxes this winter.

#13 ·
I don't have the link from youtube, but I made something very close to this but using a standard blade in the table saw and an angled sled. Slide pass 1, raise blade 1/16", slide pass 2, raise blade 1/16", slide pass 3, etc for desired depth (I use 1/2"). Turns out great and little chance of something bad happening. Huge improvement trying to lift a 60# honey super with slippery leather gloves in the middle of a swarm of interested bees!

#15 ·
Don't know if you have seen it or not, but, I developed a system to make beautiful, commercial type handles using a common Skil Saw and a very simple jig that anyone can make at home. Just go to UTube and search, Cleo Hogan, making handles on bee boxes using a Skil Saw safely.

I will send you the plans for the jig. NO Charge, and NO salesman will call. Just email me at cchoganjr@scrtc.com and ask for plans for the jig. Happy to help you out. I have made Thousands of boxes and all have this type handle.

cchoganjr

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.