Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Closing them in for a day

3K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Rhop 
#1 ·
We're having a party. Some are scared of bees and we'd like to make everyone comfortable. We have a small pond in our patio the bees use and their presence would make some nervous, I blame childhood cartoons. :) Can I screen the bees in for a day? Making screen covers is no problem and using screen to block entrances is no problem. Temps are expected in the low to mid 80s f. I could set a sprinkler to keep water at the screened entrances.
Any words of wisdom would be most welcome,
Thanks!
Lee

#3 ·
Perhaps the same as a truck, but the truck is moving and the bees will be kept cool by the rush of air. Trucks transporting bees are exempt from some traffic regulations that might make them stop (weigh stations are an example), because to stop will injure the bees from the accumulating heat stress.

Bees that can't out, often get panicky and block the screened entrances with their bodies making a bad situation worse.

Nancy

#6 ·
And how far from the patio are the hives? Maybe you won't need to do anything, if they are a bit off. You could set a a bee drinker closer to the hive away from the patio also if you do it with enough time for the bees to find it first and its possible it could draw traffic away from the area you'll have the party.

If you wanted to, you could also hang up white bed sheets like a fence line in front of the patio temporarily to screen that spot off.

#8 ·
There was a study done in the early 80s that said if a water source sprayed water at the entrance the bees would not exit the hive. The water spray had to start before daylight and the beginning of flight activity, but it made the bees remain in the hive. The study was done to find out if colonies could be confined when crops were going to be sprayed.

#9 ·
Interesting..., I wonder how well it would work on a bright sunny day. I've already decided to not risk closing them in, if people are uncomfortable they can move indoors or away from the patio, like to the horseshoe pits or the croquet court. :D

#10 ·
Rig up some temporary shade using tarps and such.

Loosely prop up some light fabric over the hive(s) - so the air still moves under the fabric - NOT tight.
I keep some old mattress covers and old sheets just for such needs.
You can spray the fabric with water too - damp fabric cover will keep the bees even cooler under.

#12 ·
Grins,

Several years ago in August I had a similar concern because I had a wedding at my house for a son and there were 70 wedding guests. I had 15 colonies in my apiary about 40-50 feet from where we had a sit down dinner party and later in the evening dancing and a band. No one was bothered by the honey bees, but what I did was make screened/ventilated inner covers for each hive, and all my hives normally have screened bottom boards and 2" rigid Styrofoam designed into the outer covers. I blocked the entrances before sunrise with a wet sock and removed it the next morning. All went well, and I'm sure that you will do fine too.

Cheers,
Steve

#13 ·
Thanks Steve. I think I could probably get away with it with screened bottom boards but I use solid. I have screened covers but there isn't enough air flow in the hives with 4 supers on and just the lower entrance. As Nancy said, bees struggling to get out could crowd the blocked entrance and exacerbate the problem. I'm not replacing bottom boards this week just to accommodate a couple scardey cats, :D It might be good for them to be exposed to bees a bit, it's not like there's a huge swarm on the patio, just a few drinking from the pond.

#18 ·
Day before party mix up some light( 1:1 or lighter) sugar syrup and put some out in a bucket with straw or sticks in it to let the bees find it and begin feeding on it. The day of the party fill the bucket with same syrup, make sure to put the bucket on the other side of the hives from the party, but not too close, and the bees will be so busy with the syrup I doubt they will bother you.

#19 ·
No offense intended but DON'T do this, especially if there is no ongoing flow! Once you have encouraged robbing behavior, roving bees will quickly smell out anything else worth robbing on and start in on it in a very short time. This would include soda cans and most anything else sweet.

#23 · (Edited)
The party was Sunday, there were bees buzzing the patio pond but nobody seemed to notice. Some had been here a year ago so they knew we have bees, a couple newcomers were far more curious than scared and most folks just didn't even notice. No bees were killed in the production of this party and NO guests were stung or even buzzed. It's good to have calm bees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.