Hornet Nest - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hornet Nest

Default Re: Hornet Nest

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Woods all around. Think the turkey choke will work?
    A turkey choke, I'm presuming that it's a tight (small) pattern, so you may have to back up another step or two. It might be good to take a piece of paper and check the pattern size at a known distance. You want it just to cover the entire nest plus a little margin for that nervous shake.

...and J&J, if you use the pump-up sprayer with a hose & adjustable nozzle, be sure to use a coarse spray to get them wet quick. They will still attack through a fine mist of gas until you get them soaked. Remember gas deserves a little more respect around any heat source or sparks, etc. Bee careful out there!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Whatever you try take precautions. A 26 year old young man in our local bee club attempted to kill a nest of hornets a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure what he tried. He was stung 12 times and had a reaction. He lost his life

Quote Originally Posted by jigsaw View Post
    A shotgun is very gratifying, but probably not the most practical choice.
    If you can get very close to the nest, slip a kitchen-size trash bag over the nest and clip the branch. Then seal up the bag. If the nest is too far out of reach then you are left with just spraying it from a distance.
    If you do anything, wait till night. Suit up and spray the hell out of it with a can of Raid hornet spray or similar. Its quick, easy, and effective.

Big Grin Re: Hornet Nest

It took three tries but the last time I used a spray foam which coated the nest. First thing this morning I saw a couple still flying around, but by afternoon I have not seen any more. I plan to shoot the nest down tomorrow....finally. I have never seen a nest this difficult to remove!

Quote Originally Posted by J&J Bees View Post
    I accidentally ran into a hornets nest while pruning trees the other day. They stung me three times before I could get away. The nest is the size of a basketball and is around 300 feet from my bees. What ways would you deal with them? I am pretty sure I will spray at night, but any advice would be appreciated.
    Buy some tempo powder. Keep it on hand. Great stuff. Will need to get a puffer too.

Quote Originally Posted by tnfiddler View Post
    Whatever you try take precautions. A 26 year old young man in our local bee club attempted to kill a nest of hornets a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure what he tried. He was stung 12 times and had a reaction. He lost his life
    Wow. I’m so sorry to hear that. Prayers for your community. 😞

They are 300 feet away, correct? My lot isn't even that big in any dimension. I have lot's of wasps and I just leave them if they are not bothering anybody and that is my recommendation for you. Live and let live. Unless they are constantly bothering people or your bees what's the problem?

Here is what I have done and they are all dead the next day. If you want to keep it and its low enough..go to the dollar store and get a Turkey baster. Then get seven dust and suck it up into the baster. Practice a few times, then at night give it a few good puffs in the entrance hole, and I mean IN it. Make sure you suit up.

Quote Originally Posted by mchrist152 View Post
    They are 300 feet away, correct? My lot isn't even that big in any dimension. I have lot's of wasps and I just leave them if they are not bothering anybody and that is my recommendation for you. Live and let live. Unless they are constantly bothering people or your bees what's the problem?
    300 feet away! We're talking Like a football field, right? How are they gonna bother anyone unless they are bothered from that distance? We're also surrounded by such nests (the number of them becomes clear when the leaves fall) and only take issue with them when they start building under the eves of the house or barn, certainly not 300 feet away.

I must agree w/ mchrist152 here, what's all this talk about shooting or blasting or poisoning insects.......unless we're talking bout Yellowjackets in the bee yard of course, then kill em Besides, there's folks that'll pay good money for a wasp nest that size (by the description I assume its a Paper wasp nest)....after its been naturally killed by freezing.

Living and letting live beats the alternative imo

It's nard to believe beekeepers are having this conversation. All bees, wasps, hornets,etc have important benefits to the ecosystem. With all the issues honeybees have as far as chemicals go, why would you even consider using sprays to kill the hornets, or gasoline? A shotgun is just plain mean. If you value the lives of your bees, you should value the lives of all pollinators. There aren't very many nests that are that so dangerous or disruptive to our lives, they need to be destroyed.
    If you get stung be ground bees in the lawn, avoid mowing that one small area. I had some yellow jackets nesting at the base of one of my blueberry bushes. I discovered it when I got stung once while pulling weeds around it. I was able to pick the blueberries as long as a tread carefully and didn't disturb the ground.
    Last year there was a white faced hornets nest in my apple tree in the front yard. I let them be and they came and went going about their business and never bothered me. I feel, if we are going to care for pollinators, we should care for All pollinators, not just the ones that fill jars of honey for us.
    Imagine the regular folks or honey customers reading this thread by beekeepers about using poison, gasoline, or shotgun blasts to kill other insects, while claiming to be stewards of the land.
    I'm not trying to be sitting on a high horse, just hoping you all will realize that we all, whether we have 1 hive or 1000, are the voice that people look to for answers about bees, and we need to set a good example, and educate everyone to bring about change in attitude and action.

Ya, well............it all boils down to the definition of "insect pest". I could find some beneficial reasons for mosquitoes & house flies too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
    Ya, well............it all boils down to the definition of "insect pest". I could find some beneficial reasons for mosquitoes & house flies too.
    Look for some for Homo Sapiens while you are at it.

We have 2-3 white-faced hornet nests (and dozens of smaller paper nests) around the house every year.

They eat pests; we leave them alone.

Thumbs Up Re: Hornet Nest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Grimshaw View Post
    They serve a purpose in life.
    Leave it alone unless it's a direct threat
    They will die at first hard frost
    At this late in the year, it's just best to avoid the area and in about 8 weeks or so, the queen will have left to bury herself for the Winter, and the others will have died.
    "Where wisdom is called for, force is of little use."
    Herodotus (circa 485-425 BC), Greek Historian

Quote Originally Posted by roddo27846 View Post
    Look for some for Homo Sapiens while you are at it.
    Hey, I resemble that remark! lol
    "Where wisdom is called for, force is of little use."
    Herodotus (circa 485-425 BC), Greek Historian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12