Banking Queens - Does location on the frame matter?

Default Banking Queens - Does location on the frame matter?

Quick questio: I am wanting to bank a couple queens in California queen cages in the above a excluder on a queen right colony. Does location on the frame matter? If not, I will probably just ziptie the cages to the top and sides of an empty brood frame.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Banking Queens - Does location on the frame matter?

In an area with brood would be best but...
    Why not not set up a couple of small nucs for the queens. That way when you need them they will be laying queens. It doesn't do a queen any good to sit idle, she's an egg laying machine, let her lay eggs. You can always use the brood to strengthen other colonies. It will also make her much more attractive to a recipient colony if she is an actively laying queen.

Default Re: Banking Queens - Does location on the frame matter?

Quote Originally Posted by John_M View Post
    In an area with brood would be best but...
    Why not not set up a couple of small nucs for the queens. That way when you need them they will be laying queens. It doesn't do a queen any good to sit idle, she's an egg laying machine, let her lay eggs. You can always use the brood to strengthen other colonies. It will also make her much more attractive to a recipient colony if she is an actively laying queen.
    That's a good idea, and I would do that- if I had frames of brood to spare to make up nucs with. Banking queens seemed a little less demanding of bee resources.