Slimy Comb from Hive Beetle Larvae maybe - salvageable?

Default Slimy Comb from Hive Beetle Larvae maybe - salvageable?

Hi,

I negleted a brood box that had gone queenless and as the population dimished the Hive Beetle took over laying 100s of eggs which hatched to larvae (at least I think that is what happened). The comb are wet with slime, which I thought was uncurred honey. I froze them last night and put them outside today hoping sorrounding bees would clean them up but they barely touched them.

Is there any salvaging them or should I just toss them?

The frames are nice drawn comb.

Ben

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Slimy Comb from Hive Beetle Larvae maybe - salvageable?

Bees won’t touch it. You can try washing the comb out with a hose.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

do you want any of that stink/fermentation in your hives?
    8 years, 8 hives

Wash the frames with a sprayer, garden hose or kitchen sink. Once the funk is gone and the SHB larvae are dead, put the frames back in a strong hive, the bees will take it from there.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

If it is plastic foundation, pop it out of the frame and pressure wash it. Clean the frames with a mild bleach solution. Re-wax the foundation and put them back in the frame. I made a frame that holds several sheets of plastic foundation and it works great for getting the foundation clean. I will be pressure washing a few dozen frames this weekend. I had 2 deadouts that had several frames packed with pollen. I sprayed with BT but SHB aren't affected by it.

Post Re: Slimy Comb from Hive Beetle Larvae maybe - salvageable?

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Wash the frames with a sprayer, garden hose or kitchen sink. Once the funk is gone and the SHB larvae are dead, put the frames back in a strong hive, the bees will take it from there.
    That works for me too.
    But I would also like to recommend putting the frames in a freezer for at least 24 hours before putting them back into any hive. They could have SHB eggs which could spell disaster, or even wax moth eggs because the hive has become weakened. Freezing kills everything. Just an added precaution.
    Of course allow the frames to thaw out and warm back up before putting them back into the hive.
    Last edited by Cyberman; 08-17-2019 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Typos

BeeBen said he had already put them in the freezer, but for anyone else, yes, freeze them first. Then, rinse them clean after thawing. In almost all cases the comb can be salvaged.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I set them out in the weather. After they've been rained on and the bees have robbed them out the seem to work fine.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF