What to do with weak hive.

Default What to do with weak hive.

Hey fellow beeks.
    I have a friend who caught a small, secondary swarm a while back. He ran in to some health issues and didn't do much with it. He never fed it, and it doesn't have a lot of comb drawn out well. The queen seems to want to lay well, but with a smaller population and not much drawn comb, she doesn't really have much space to lay.
    I am going to start feeding them, but was debating whether to use 1:1 or 2:1 syrup, since it is late in the year. I am also going to give them a pollen patty. Once they are settled and have an ok population of workers, I also thought I would supplement their population with a frame of brood from two of my strong colonies.
    Any thoughts?
    Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What to do with weak hive.

It's still OK to feed 1:1 but 2:1 is fine if you want. I would worry about putting a lot of time in and still not getting the colony big enough to sustain the winter months. You'll know as you go along but I'd be prepared to combine as the year gets long in the tooth.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"