Crowdfunded Smart hive for helping bees, beekeepers, and bee researchers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crowdfunded Smart hive for helping bees, beekeepers, and bee researchers

I have a kickstarter for the new smart hive I have built, and I'd love to share why I'm making it and see if anyone on here is of the same mind.

For years, I was in and out of the ER and ICU for a genetic illness that the doctors were unable to diagnose. You can imagine how terrible it feels to be laying on a hospital bed, unable to speak, barely able to move, and then watch doctors be incapable of giving an explanation when they didn't even know what was going on.

"I don’t know" are three crushing words when your life or the life of someone you care about is on the line.

I did eventually figure out what my illness was, but it was by me asking a lot of tough questions. One of the things that got me through those years was the ability to take care of and learn about Honey Bees. I got Honey Bees for my 18th birthday, and they changed my life. I used to give talks at my college about them, and overall, I am a big bee geek. Still, I have killed a lot of bees, and as I sat there looking through the hive and sorting through their bodies, more often than not I am left saying, "I don’t know."

This represents the canyon that separates those who care about bees from those who take care of bees. There's a canyon filled with all the fear of hurting and killing bees, filled to the brim, with all of the “I don’t knows” which prevents a lot of people from becoming beekeepers themselves.

I don’t accept “I don’t know” as an answer, which is why I am building the world's first Ask Smart Hive that will bridge the gap between caring about bees and caring for bees. The Ask Smart Hive will let you know what’s going on in your hive 24/7, whether you’re at Starbucks getting coffee or stuck working late at the office. All you have to do is Ask.

My question to you is this: Would you like to know more?

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Crowdfunded Smart hive for helping bees, beekeepers, and bee researchers

I'd like to know how you plan to do this? Monitors of some sort?

Default Re: Crowdfunded Smart hive for helping bees, beekeepers, and bee researchers

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    I'd like to know how you plan to do this? Monitors of some sort?
    Basically, there will be a dozen or so sensors inside the hive monitoring about 28 different variables, which will be consolidated down into basic and professional mode on the app that will come with the hive. So you can get into the numbers and changes with the pro mode, but if you want to keep it simple you can enjoy seeing how your queen is doing, whether you're about to swarm, and which hives are performing well (for example).

The other great thing is that this is ready to go out of the box, and can be set up (hive included) in minutes.

I have working prototypes, and the crowdfunded campaign is to move to large scale production and refinement.

I'd suggest getting signed up for updates, it's free, and no one will get a better deal then the people that support the campaign.

I was here,

It sounds like an interesting project. I would be very interested. There are a few different monitoring options out there, mostly dealing with humidity, temperature weight and one very ambitious program using microphones to see if anything can be determined from sounds.

I am very curious though what metric you will use to see how your queen is doing and how you plan to know if they are about to swarm. I was once told about someone who tried to see if a RFID chip can be placed on the queen to monitor its travel throughout the hive, although I never saw any real results out of it.

I am a little suspicious though because your link is not to a kick starter but a google form, can you explain?

"This represents the canyon that separates those who care about bees from those who take care of bees."

I'm not quite sure what the difference is between the phrases, "care about bees" and "take care of bees". Could you explain, please."

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadofMeadow View Post
    I am a little suspicious though because your link is not to a kick starter but a google form, can you explain?
    Same question.

I was here,

It sounds like an interesting project. I would be very interested. There are a few different monitoring options out there, mostly dealing with humidity, temperature weight and one very ambitious program using microphones to see if anything can be determined from sounds.

I am very curious though what metric you will use to see how your queen is doing and how you plan to know if they are about to swarm. I was once told about someone who tried to see if a RFID chip can be placed on the queen to monitor its travel throughout the hive, although I never saw any real results out of it.

First, Thank you for writing.

My Ask Smart Hive will monitor those options as well as more using a variety of sensors (we can nerd out on the types if you want), and come ready to go with the hive, so no special assembly required and thus allows it to be setup in minutes. I'll be talking about sensors more in the update newsletter.

Big difference are
    1) those are self set up, and mine comes set up for you.
    2) They are not standardizes so the data they collect is not as useful.

In terms of knowing where the queen is and it's health, as well as telling the health of the hive (disease states), will be monitored visually and potentially (testing this now) with low energy wifi signals. A successful kickstarter will allow me and my team to do a little more R&D to ensure everything works right with the bees.

My bad for seeming suspicious. The kickstarter doesn't go live until next month, so there is no link to it yet. The email sign up is for updates and related content leading up to the kickstarter. I wouldn't want to announce to an empty room

Feel free to get signed up, and let me know what you think. You will never be spammed or get mass emails. It's only use is to give updates and talk about the problems we will be solving.

Also, I'm doing 30 interviews on my podcast featuring different beekeepers, bee experts, and bee researchers for each of the days of the kickstarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Arthur View Post
    Same question.
    My bad for seeming suspicious. The kickstarter doesn't go live until next month, so there is no link to it yet. The email sign up is for updates and related content leading up to the kickstarter.

Feel free to get signed up, and let me know what you think. You will never be spammed or get mass emails. It's only use is to give updates and talk about the problems we will be solving.

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    "This represents the canyon that separates those who care about bees from those who take care of bees."

I'm not quite sure what the difference is between the phrases, "care about bees" and "take care of bees". Could you explain, please."

Alex
    Some people care about bees but for a variety of reasons choose not to care for them directly. While people who take care of bees are actively managing and taking care of bees.

Looking forward to seeing your Kickstarter campaign link. Be sure to post it in this thread when it's live.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Arthur View Post
    Looking forward to seeing your Kickstarter campaign link. Be sure to post it in this thread when it's live.
    Will do, but for everyone else reading this. The best way to ensure you get updates and learn more is to sign up for updates. Takes less than 3 seconds.

I've seen people who just update on forums do really poorly come day of because the chances are people who wanted to support don't check the forum then, and end up missing out.

So sign up, let me know what you think, and send it to other people as well. Everyone who signs up can have a voice in what we are developing as well.

Heres the form:
    https://forms.gle/jht5u2s9R7Gxgyuc6

Awesome, I am very excited to see your program. I subscribed to this feed.

Awesome, I am very excited to see your program. I subscribed to this feed.
    Thank you. Though, It won't be posted on this thread/feed, but I'll see about posting or getting it stickied on this site. Feel free to follow me on twitter, or sign up for updates with the link,, if you want to make to not miss them. Not sure how to share a program like that on here.

Iwashere, I signed up to get your updates. Sounds like an interesting project to me also. Look forward to seeing how this pans out. Feel free to post pictures and data, and engage in discussions of capabilities, but take care not to offer the hive for sale in this thread. There is a separate "for sale" forum for that when the time comes.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I am curious what sensors you are planning on using beyond weight, temperature, and humidity. I have this data on one of my hives and am not sure what other 9 parameters you would look at. I have thought measuring 02 and/or CO2 might be interesting, but I have not found any other items that I have thought would be interesting or viable.

I am curious what you have in mind for visually tracking the queen. I have found a queen as high as box #4 in a stack so she could be anywhere on 40 frames in the hive.

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
    I am curious what sensors you are planning on using beyond weight, temperature, and humidity. I have this data on one of my hives and am not sure what other 9 parameters you would look at. I have thought measuring 02 and/or CO2 might be interesting, but I have not found any other items that I have thought would be interesting or viable.
    He says: "... there will be a dozen or so sensors inside the hive monitoring about 28 different variables ...". I find this level of vagueness when it's being claimed that there is a working prototype already in existence somewhat unusual, perhaps even suspicious.

Seeing as there could be serious amounts of money involved here, I don't think it unreasonable to ask for more details of the sensors being employed, together with a list of the variables being measured with them.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

As someone who's doing his own thing with sensors (and a programmer).... I would not necessarily say that using the term "about 28 different variables" being vague .... as you develop, and continue developing, you come to a point where, as is the above case, you want to go public, or get testing ... you may or may not have decided on your final data gather points.

So by saying "about 28 different variables", the way I personally understand it, is that up or down a few variables could change depending on various things. Having one prototype, and wanting to do several variations means that those variations would track a different amount variables, making the above statement an average ... or, he may not yet have decided if 1 or X variables are even worth monitoring/using, as it doesn't change the outcome of the analysis .... but may "be cool", but only the user-base will decide in the validity ...

Just my 2c as a dev....

Quote Originally Posted by StormEc View Post
    As someone who's doing his own thing with sensors (and a programmer)....
    [...]
    Just my 2c as a dev....
    That's the difference between an amateur like yourself and a former pro like myself. A professional works towards meeting a defined specification - or how else would you know when the project had been completed - i.e. had met it's targets ?

It sounds like you're still experimenting with a few bits and pieces in your shed - whereas the OP has (and I quote) " ... working prototypes, and the crowdfunded campaign is to move to large scale production and refinement."

Large Scale Production ? When the exact number of sensors/variables haven't yet been established ? C'mon - let's get real. There's a world of difference between experimentation and entering production.

Plenty of vague sales-pitches in this thread - but nothing yet of any substance.

LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

hehe, not even at that stage yet .... No shed, waiting for more bits and pieces .....

As you say "move to large scale production and refinement" ... refinement is pretty much they key element using your own words .... and still falls inline with my statement...

Looking at crowd funding campaigns that I have personally backed, and observed, very few have shipped what the prototype displayed (And in those cases, it was a very simple design), or, people who use the platform more for marketing and hype than funding ....

Semantics aside, both our statements are valid within the crowd funding framework, depending from where you are looking and your expectations ....

as i said before on the other thread for a kickstarter......a fool and his money are soon parted.
    If he has a prototype working why is he now asking for what we as beekeepers want?
    Any permanent sensor will be rendered useless in due time by the bees......except weight and temp. O2 would be covered in an hour.
    And why do these threads suddenly have someone new defending the program acting like he is not involved?
    Terrence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast