Vacuum sealing mason jars of honey? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Vacuum sealing mason jars of honey?

I am thinking that the net reduction of oxygen molecules due to pulling a vacuum would have an almost negligible affect on the stability of the honey. Perhaps the payoff is more emotional than measurable.

The steam from hot pressure canning is a different situation where it physically displaces all the air above the liquid before the sealing takes place. It need not reach a high vacuum in the eventual sealed space. This steam displacement of free oxygen does not occur unless you want to thermally degrade the honey.
    Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I think the OP is concerned with sealing more than preservation. I just torque it every time I handle it. I guess you could dry heat the lids to soften the rubber. They would cool before any damage could happen to the honey.

Of course, mine often get to ride in a car in the texas heat to soften it.

I don't understand how it should work.How are you planning to save honey in jars using vacuum sealer. I have a vacuum sealer with bags for vacuuming, but how should it help to save jar content?
    Maybe we are talking about different things, but I mean a standard vacuum sealer.
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 05-18-2020 at 10:24 AM. Reason: remove link

I don't really understand how you are going to use vacuum sealer together with jars?
    I have a vacuum at home but maybe we are talking about different devices?
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 05-18-2020 at 10:25 AM. Reason: remove link

Like previously mentioned- just screw the canning ring over the canning flat lid. Tighten down - won't leak, will seal. Let's not try to re-invent the wheel here.

Just to throw my 2 cents Canadian into this: We got those exact sealers in a kit a few years ago. We use them to store honey, maple syrup, and dried fruits, peppers, and tomatoes in mason jars - products that won't be be impacted much if a seal leaks and the jar loses its vacuum. Other than sealing out a bit of extra moisture and having a satisfying hiss when you open the jar I'm not sure there's much of a point to them. We use them because we have them and I'm a bit OCD.

Mason lids don't seal reliably when applied cold and dry. Heating them would probably help if you wanted to go through the extra step of drying them before application. We put sealing bands over the lids and torque them down tight after vacuuming and leave them on the jars during storage, unlike pressure or hot water bath canning. Before we started doing this we had more than 30% of our jars losing their seal in storage.

The standard mason jar sealer works well. The wide mouth mason sealer tends to pull the lids off when you're trying to remove it after vacuuming. Both sizes can be sensitive to the form of the jar - too high a shoulder and it won't seal to pull a vacuum on the jar. Not a problem with most regular mason jars but if you have a collection like ours compiled over three generations some jars just won't work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12