Vacuum sealing mason jars of honey?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vacuum sealing mason jars of honey?

The cheapest way I found to jar honey is anchor hocking jars they look nice and are maybe 60c a jar... however simply squeezing down on the lid doesn’t seal as well as I’d like. I found this jar vacuum sealer but I know some things don’t vacuum seal well anyone have any experience with this?
    https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-FCA...8-3&th=1&psc=1

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Vacuum sealing mason jars of honey?

I don't know about that item, and it looks like it goes in place of the normal lid, so it may not be what you want.

That said, it is very easy to seal mason jars without heating - assuming you have a pressure cooker and a vacuum pump.

Place the jars into the pressure cooker, sealers on, with the rings screwed down loosely (as if you were going to can them). Place a piece of vinyl (electrical) or other air-tight tape over the poppet valve, and attach the vacuum to the port where the weight normally goes. Draw a weak vacuum, then pull the hose to the vacuum so that the canner repressurizes quickly. This should seal all of the jars in the canner.

You can also make a simple vacuum chamber out of a large jar and a few other parts, if you don't have a pressure canner. The advantage of the canner - assuming you have a big one like mine - is that you can seal a lot of jars in one go.

I work in a research lab, so I have access to a good vacuum pump. If you don't, there are some super-cheap DIY versions out there that make more than enough vacuum for this use. One example: https://www.instructables.com/id/mak...20-by-convert/

Bryan

The listed food saver device does the same thing as the pressure cooker. It uses the standard lids and forms a small vacuum chamber.

AMK, where are you getting the jars? I'm needing to restock.

OK, let me clarify a few things.

We have experience in this area in my family.

Vaccum sealing is wonderful. Tons of people do it. Its a great idea and food savers are credible. (However I don't know if every maker of vaccum sealers is credible. And I suspect like cars some are better than others.)

Its a good idea to learn how to use vaccum sealers and canning jars technology to store food like pressure cookers and so on. You can do this not just for honey but for anything coming out of the garden. You can can both fruit and vegetables. People recently even figured out how to can meat.

Also, vaccum sealing and pressure cooking are slightly different ideas, even though people lump them together. So lets say you just harvested peaches off your peach tree and were canning those. You would use BOTH the vaccum sealer and your pressure cooker for that. They aren't replacements for each other in other words. The reason for this is the more oxygen you remove when canning, then the longer whatever you are storing will last. People in canning treat oxygen and germs as the enemy. So someone will first use a vaccum sealer (get rid of the oxygen), and then either pressure cook or water bath can whatever they are trying to store. And the less oxygen you have the longer something will last for.

Mason jar (glass jar) canning also will last longer than your canned goods at the store, as long as its done by someone who knows what they are doing.

So to be fair, lets say you used the vaccum sealer only and then put the lid on something...you'd get way less mileage than you would if you added the next step of pressure cooking the meat or vegetables afterwards in it. (And back in the day everyone used to do this, not just the farmers.)

There is one more point to clarify;

I don't know if you can 'can' (pressure cook or water bath can) HONEY. But you CAN use it for virtually everything else out there that are meat and vegetables.

Because honey already naturally stores well, for honey only, you could probably (?) get a lot of mileage just by using the vaccum sealer alone, and then putting the lids on and storing it. But I'm not sure how long you'd get for your mileage.

If you start canning and using pressure cookers, they have very particular rules you have to follow. But there's tons of youtube videos on the stuff. But its not rocket science.

Hope that helps.

Edited in; you could double check what others say for duration of how long you can store honey in a sealed can or jar.

You also want to bear in mind, when people do canning they are thinking in terms of X years for whatever the product will store for. But when something says, you can can X food for lets say 6 years, or 10 years, or 3 years, or whatever it is, people are still supposed to once a year do a once over on whatever it is they have canned.
    Last edited by hagane; 08-14-2019 at 01:13 PM.

I would be very hesitant on putting a jar of honey in the middle of a pot of rapidly boiling water. Water could possibly be introduced from steam into the honey. Plus, the honey would be heated well over 140 degrees killing all the beneficial stuff in it.
    Why is it important to have the honey vacuum sealed? What is the advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    I would be very hesitant on putting a jar of honey in the middle of a pot of rapidly boiling water. Water could possibly be introduced from steam into the honey. Plus, the honey would be heated well over 140 degrees killing all the beneficial stuff in it.
    Why is it important to have the honey vacuum sealed? What is the advantage?
    Ya I have to agree. I bottle when the honey is approximately 90/95F, fill, cap, tighten, then tighten the bands again after 10 min or so. After the honey is cooled the lids have to be flicked off w/ a fingernail. Sealed close enough for me.
    Rod

Are we missing the point OP asked? He just want to vacuum sealer it using the food saver method, aka suck the air out of the jar, not using the boiling, pressure cooker, etc... method.

OP, yes, I used the product with the foodsaver device and it works good majority of the time. I never use it for honey jar since honey is self preserving so extra air in the jar won't do any harm. However if you want it to seal very well then this device should work just time consuming if you have too many jar.

Honey does not need to be vacuumed sealed. You will be wasting time and money for nothing. Just twist the lid on any canning jar hand tight and you are all set. J

I sell mine in mason jars, and about half my customers expect the lids to be sealed when they buy them. It also prevents leaks during transport. Using the pressure cooker as a vacuum chamber takes perhaps a minute to seal 18 500 ml jars (I have a big pressure cooker), so its time effective for that use.

Quote Originally Posted by texanbelchers View Post
    The listed food saver device does the same thing as the pressure cooker. It uses the standard lids and forms a small vacuum chamber.

AMK, where are you getting the jars? I'm needing to restock.
    HEB and Walmart stock them but online you can order from Walmart and they do free delivery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

First off thanks for all the replies.

I have a vacmaster vacuum chamber I’m familiar with vacuum sealing food except honey obviously. I’ve seen it boil water out of stuff it puts such a vacuum on it and destroys vegetables so you cannot vacuum seal everything.

The reason I’m looking for a better seal is I’m worried that moisture can penetrate a hand tightened seal and I’d like to give my product a more “sealed” look since I sometimes sale to markets. I’m sure most have seen the idiots licking the ice cream and putting the kids back on. On the moisture thing when I jarred my honey it was 17% and I checked it a month and a half later it was 18.2% so I got a bit concerned. A local guy who been doing it a long time said it was fine but he uses plastic squeeze jars that have those sealing lid inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by SuiGeneris View Post
    I sell mine in mason jars, and about half my customers expect the lids to be sealed when they buy them. It also prevents leaks during transport. Using the pressure cooker as a vacuum chamber takes perhaps a minute to seal 18 500 ml jars (I have a big pressure cooker), so its time effective for that use.
    How hot do you have to heat it?

He does not heat it,
    read his post above

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    The reason I’m looking for a better seal is I’m worried that moisture can penetrate a hand tightened seal and I’d like to give my product a more “sealed” look since I sometimes sale to markets. I’m sure most have seen the idiots licking the ice cream and putting the kids back on.
    I use the heat-shrink bands on my mason jars. They provide pretty good tamper-proofing. It doesn't do much about moisture getting in, but I tend to think new lids screwed on tightly shouldn't let any water in anyway.

Here's the Amazon link to the lid seals. I just use a hair dryer to shrink them. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C756HBH/

Quote Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
    He does not heat it,
    read his post above
    I did read it. I have a pressure cooker and it requires water and heat to pressurize. Is this something different? J

I re-read it and stand corrected. I was thinking a kitchen pressure cooker, not a lab. Too much trouble for nothing as far as I am concerned. J

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    How hot do you have to heat it?
    I don't. I'm attaching a vacuum line to the pot (to the port where the weight normally sits) and using that to create a weak vacuum. If you release the pressure quickly (by pulling the vacuum line off of the port), the lids seal tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80V3z9kdT5w

This video the lady talks about what I said. And she mentions using a food safer some point after 2 minutes in.

But there are some unknowns not stated; does she know what she's doing with honey? And does she know what she's doing with canning? And how long has she been canning.

This how people with food savers act and talk. They talk about canning and food savers often together.

I have used Food Saver with that attachment. Only addressing the sealing issue here, there is one annoyance. The rubber on the jar flats really need to be heated to soften them to allow them to make a good seal. In the normal canning process, this is done by heating them in hot water. The hot water could add moisture to the honey if done this way. Otherwise it works and most of the seals will hold even without heating the rubber seals.

Quote Originally Posted by SuiGeneris View Post
    I don't. I'm attaching a vacuum line to the pot (to the port where the weight normally sits) and using that to create a weak vacuum. If you release the pressure quickly (by pulling the vacuum line off of the port), the lids seal tight.
    Just out of curiosity, how many inches Hg are you pulling?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast