splits in the same yard

Default splits in the same yard

I made a few splits in the same yard with mated queens. One of them had a lot of bees fly back to parent hives leaving a weak population of nurse bees. If I used a nuc and screened off the entrance with #8 hardware cloth and shook in some some more bees, how long should I leave them screened so they won't fly back to the parent hives? I plan on caging the queen and them release her again. It is in the 90's here. I'd like to try to keep the population of the hive up as much as I can, but don't want to cook them either. I will stack an empty deep on top of them with hive top feeder to try to help with heat and ventilation? Any other recommendations? I thought about switching hive positions with a stronger split, but none of them have much a field force yet. My 10 framers are to heavy to move.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: splits in the same yard

shake a frame or 2 of open brood in front of the weak hive, the bulk will be nurce bees who don't know were home is and will just crawl in the closest box

Yup shake those nurse bees.
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

Will the guard bees let them in like that?
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

You do not have guard bees in a newly made nuc. The bees that would have been your guards already flew back home. Lean a board up to the entrance and shake a brood frame or two onto it and watch what happens. Grab the video recorder.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.