Double screen board

Default Double screen board

So if you have a hive with double screen board... can it be be recombined by simply removing screen?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Double screen board

I have done it quite a few times just by pulling the division board out. If you have a queen in both hives you might want to give a thought about which one you want to keep or just roll the dice knowing the younger one will take the crown about 75% of the time. There is some chance both queens could be injured but I think that is remote.

If I want to select one queen I will shake the other box through a queen excluder.

I have never had problems with fighting but I have never had determined robber bees. If you have a dearth going on and active robbing it would be an idea to use a layer or two of newspaper.

Supposedly or I should say commonly the queens and bees will be mother daughter or sisters but I sometimes have chosen brood from another hive to create the queen. The bees have never made an issue about it.
    Frank

I had a bad experience with just removing the screen board, had quite a few dead bees on the bottom board the next day. I do a paper combine after the screen board if the bees came off a queened hive, just the newspaper if they’ve been queenless.
    Rod

The only time I've used a double-screen board is when I've wanted to keep two queens from coming into contact with each other. When engaging in combining two colonies I use a single screen board, and then remove it after a few days to let all the bees mix.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

It appears that the outcome will depend on the relationship of the colonies, how long they have shared the double screen division board, whether they are both queenright etc. We answered a question without enough supplied information.
    Frank

Yes.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF