Oxylic acid schedule - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Oxylic acid schedule

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    I think when you see huge mite drops after each treatment, the treatment is clearly working. If you still have large mite counts after treatment, my best guess is that you are getting re-infested from robbers bringing back the mites. I have seen this happen with all mite treatments, not just OAV. If you scan this forum, you will see instances of people who used MAQS, Apivar and other treatments stating that their hive is still over run with mites and asking if they should do another round. If you have a troubled hive, treat with OAV and put a piece of cardboard or an election sign on the bottom board afterwards and see what the 2 day mite drop is. Better yet, do that every time for confirmation. If you see lots of mites, you can be sure the OAV is working and there is some other factor in play that is causing the mite load to stay high. Don't do the treatment with the cardboard in the hive. It will catch on fire.
    I would tend to agree with more mites coming in when you keep seeing the same amount of mite drops.Colonies that are over run with mites and robbers coming in and mites go home with them.With continued mite drops like that I would keep treating until the counts really did drop off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

ToweringOakFarm - Cleveland- Southern East Texas

I started to give the hive the first treatment of OA but I could not get the reducer out and ran out of time. I got back to the hives yesterday and removed the brood chambers off the bottom boards and found the reducers nailed in. I gave each hive 1/2 teaspoon of OA for 4 min 15 sec. The bees were the most calm that I have seen.

That's a good point you bring up Lincoln. The day before you OA, you should loosen your reducers. I have never nailed any in, but have had to struggle with them being swollen or propolized and starting out yanking on them and causing a disturbance isn't a good idea. J

I really like this article by Rusty Burlew on OAV timing when brood is present:

https://www.honeybeesuite.com/using-...od-is-present/

ToweringOakFarm - Cleveland- Southern East Texas

I found scorch marks on thr bottom of 2 frames from my wand. Next time I am going to look through the bottom to see that it is lined up with the space.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12