TREAT or FEED

Thread: TREAT or FEED

Default TREAT or FEED

I have always harvested honey, then treated, and later fed the bees. I am running single deeps and a local beek told me I am doing it backward. I shoud feed and then treat. First year with singles (not a good year) and he may be correct as they have a limited supply of honey and necter in one single deep. Any thoughts
    Last edited by Plannerwgp; 08-11-2019 at 08:27 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: TREAT or FEED

I am not well versed on single deep hive management techniques but I don't know that it makes a lot of difference. I feed when the the dearth starts and start treating at the end of July. Here in Richmond, the nectar flow stops cold around the 4th of July, so light hives and hives that I have split from get fed. In that regard, I feed and then treat. But local conditions should dictate what you do. If you have a fall flow, you might find yourself treating as soon as the honey supers come off, then feeding to get plenty in the deeps, and putting the supers back on in August.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I must be missing something; why is it an either/or question? Why can't you treat while feeding or feed while treating?
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

With formic acid and perhaps others, feeding is not recommended. The bees quit guarding and robbing may occur. Perhaps there are other reasons.
    Frank

Good point. To properly answer Plannerwgp's question, we need to know what kind of treatment he is asking about.

Me, I'll feed with any of the non repellent treatments such as the synthetic strips, I will not feed with repellent / disruptive treatments such as formic or thymol based treatments.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

I was thinking I’d Mite Away scrips. I have at least 5 hives that swarmed and I restarted with new queens. I will feed them only and not treat as they are weak and had a brood break.The other hives need treatment and feed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Good point. To properly answer Plannerwgp's question, we need to know what kind of treatment he is asking about.

Me, I'll feed with any of the non repellent treatments such as the synthetic strips, I will not feed with repellent / disruptive treatments such as formic or thymol based treatments.

OK well MAQS is disruptive to the hive and can interfere with their ability to defend themselves. So wouldn't do both at the same time.

Re the weak hives, it's best to determine why they are weak. For example, if they are weak because of a heavy varroa mite infestation, feeding them syrup could kill them via robbing, the varroa mites should be sorted first, then the hives allowed to recover, then feed.

A brood break stops mites from reproducing for 2 or 3 weeks, it does not in most cases reduce the infestation by any great amount.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

i would think it too hot in illinois for MAQS right now, and def dont use two. i use MAQS in spring and apivar in summer when i pull honey. feed at same time as apivar.

I had 5 or more hives swarm proably due probably to my use of single deeps and horrible weather this year only. After severl of them had swarmed twice, I gave up on a new queen returning and inserted a new queen. I took the chance of the new queen being killed but to my surprise it worked on 3 of 4 hives. These hives are very slowly building and very weak, so I am going to feed and skip the mite treatment for as long as possible. I used single deeps with an excluder because the season was starting so late. Willgo backto 2 brood boxes next year. I will check into Apivar also.