Help Needed!! I have Queen Cells in My Super

Default Help Needed!! I have Queen Cells in My Super

I am completely new at beekeeping this year and live in southern Ohio. I received a swarm from a guy that caught the swarm in a 10frame super box. I only had 8 frame hives. Following recommendation from him I put the frames my 8frame supers over a deep and they eventually started building out frames in the deep. Weeks later we found the queen kept her in the deep box and added a queen excluder between the boxes. The thought was after all the capped brood hatches we would remove the supers and eventually add another deep hoping with some feeding we could get the hive strong enough to last the winter.Today during our hive inspection in one of the frames in the super there were 3 queen cells with one or two of them being capped. Didn't know if it would be best to pull that frame out and try to split the hive (I would love more bees) or destroy the queen cells. When we looked in the deep box there were a couple frames with brood on them in the deep. I am sure I have made some mistakes along the way but any help at all on what to do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Help Needed!! I have Queen Cells in My Super

You will need better opinions from local and/or beeks in your temperate zone, but I think you would be playing "against the house" this late for splits unless, you have a strong enough amount of bees and two laying queens that can get you enough winter bees and a stable hive going through an Ohio winter.

Here in N Texas, I'd probably be pushing it trying to make splits this late, but have the angle of warmer days into November than I suspect you will. In your shoes, I'd likely try to order a laying queen as to get a layer in there quicker and plan my splits for Spring, (after confirming you are indeed queen less) See any Eggs? queen? and where where the queen cells, mid upper frame or near/ on the bottom of frames?

I'd remove the QE in any event as to not have a queen trapped in the super with no exit.

I think this late in summer, I'd have put the super on the bottom and new brood box on top sans the QE, You can remove the super in early Spring when the bees are in the top box, basically doing a box reversal.

I yield to beeks with better knowledge of your climate of coarse, but I'd want to get that hive up and ready for winter and plan for Spring to expand, not sure you have time to hatch a queen, get her mated and then wait the days for new bees.

Good luck in any event.
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”

Default Re: Help Needed!! I have Queen Cells in My Super

Your safest bet is to verify the queen in the bottom box is still laying well with a good pattern and the destroy the queen cells in the super. Taking bees away from the 1 hive you have now to attempt a late season split is not a good idea and puts all the bees at risk. If you had more hives, I would say go for it, if nothing but for the learning experience as the split probably would not survive winter without a lot of care.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.