new apiary law proposal for NY
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    syracuse n.y.
    Posts
    5,224

    Default new apiary law proposal for NY

    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    syracuse n.y.
    Posts
    5,224

    Default Re: new apiary law proposal for NY

    well fairly easy to read, my comments to my senator
    "the bill doesn't state that the disease etc example (AFB) has to be confirmed by the usda lab Beltsville md. s 173-c a. when must we provide the information to the commish? 173-e how do we provide permits for bees coming from states that don't do inspections? The AIAC scheduled meeting should be sent to each club, they refuse to tell us when they meet now. I have no problem allowing inspectors into my apiaries, but feel that it is a violation of my rights for them to have access to my premises and structures. also need the criteria for what will numbers of mites etc will fail a n apiary so they can't sell nucs.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Posts
    240

    Default Re: new apiary law proposal for NY

    N/M the million problems like immigration, homelessness, let's worry the beekeepers...
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4y..._as=subscriber

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Skaneateles, NY
    Posts
    938

    Default Re: new apiary law proposal for NY

    more BS rules so someone can justify their salary

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    syracuse n.y.
    Posts
    5,224

    Default Re: new apiary law proposal for NY

    Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    more BS rules so someone can justify their salary
    oh some of the new rules are kind of cute, you have to think about some of the wording, but in one section they have made dead outs illegal. the other thing you have to understand, once the law is passed the language in the law allows the Commish. to basically rewrite it to anything he wants with out going back through the legislature. so how many mites are you allowed in your nucs next year???
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Skaneateles, NY
    Posts
    938

    Default Re: new apiary law proposal for NY

    yeah thats pretty nuts. Will need specifics for sure.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Anon, Anonymous
    Posts
    135

    Default Re: new apiary law proposal for NY

    Just a heads up that about 50 years ago when the government started messing with dairies and milk regulations, that's when most of the industry was literally forced out by big business. Utah County specifically over the last 50+ years has gone from over 35 dairies to about 3 or so. It started smile with propaganda that they were going to make the milk a better product, blah blah, blah...

    So how badly do you want to remain being beekeepers? Or do you want to watch others be beekeepers while you aren't anymore because of growing regulations? And then you can watch other people play with their bees while you have none. Most people think it can't ever happen to them.

    I'd also look at the fine print on every bit of that bill. For example, will it let them have any kind of excuse possible to impose their will on a private beek, etc.

    This is also the same state that just legalized full term abortions.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Otsego County, NY, USA
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: new apiary law proposal for NY

    OK, so parts of my comments may not be popular, but here goes. I used to know my inspector, bit of an odd guy but a good beekeeper and a good resource and I considered him a friend. There was no notification before an inspection, only that he had inspected.

    AFB, you need a lab analysis for AFB, I don't, it's pretty obvious and I want to know and don't want a delay for a lab result, I want it burned-Today.

    Apiary registration has probably always been on the books but never enforced. I am probably not in favor of mandatory registration because there will always be casual beekeepers that don't and their colonies never get inspected. Many of these are not well managed, some completly unmanaged and serve as pest and disease pools to infect our colonies. The people are probably well intentioned but their lack of management can present problems for me and regulations wont entirely fix this.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    syracuse n.y.
    Posts
    5,224

    Default Re: new apiary law proposal for NY

    Quote Originally Posted by John_M View Post

    AFB, you need a lab analysis for AFB, I don't, it's pretty obvious and I want to know and don't want a delay for a lab result, I want it burned-Today.

    .
    that's your option. the lab test would be to protect the beeks, you may have been friendly with your inspector, but there is a history in NY of inspectors saying that the hives had FB when they didn't and burned the hives b/4 notifying the beek.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    St. Albans, Vermont
    Posts
    8,103

    Default Re: new apiary law proposal for NY

    Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    that's your option. the lab test would be to protect the beeks, you may have been friendly with your inspector, but there is a history in NY of inspectors saying that the hives had FB when they didn't and burned the hives b/4 notifying the beek.
    I've dealt with the NY inspectors since the early 80s. I've had nothing but good relationships with the NY inspectors. There are bad actors in every industry, including the honey bee inspection service. Doesn't mean the program is inherently bad. I'd like to see a return of the inspection program and apiary registrations. After more than 35 years of NY beekeeping, I've never had an issue with the inspectors.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Otsego County, NY, USA
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: new apiary law proposal for NY

    I never had a destroy order levied. But they leave an order for you to destroy the colony, they never did it themselves unless you igored the order. Of course I wouldn't destroy a colony before I looked at it myself, but if I did find afb that colony would be burned within the hour.

    I'm with Mike on this one, it would be nice to have a competant beekeeper inspecting those colonies owned by hands off beekeepers. And for newbs watching an inspector work your colony would probably be a big help.
    Last edited by John_M; 08-15-2019 at 01:45 PM.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    syracuse n.y.
    Posts
    5,224

    Default Re: new apiary law proposal for NY

    Quote Originally Posted by John_M View Post
    I never had a destroy order levied. But they leave an order for you to destroy the colony, they never did it themselves unless you igored the order. Of course I wouldn't destroy a colony before I looked at it myself, but if I did find afb that colony would be burned within the hour.

    I'm with Mike on this one, it would be nice to have a competant beekeeper inspecting those colonies owned by hands off beekeepers. And for newbs watching an inspector work your colony would probably be a big help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    I've dealt with the NY inspectors since the early 80s. I've had nothing but good relationships with the NY inspectors. There are bad actors in every industry, including the honey bee inspection service. Doesn't mean the program is inherently bad. I'd like to see a return of the inspection program and apiary registrations. After more than 35 years of NY beekeeping, I've never had an issue with the inspectors.
    have you looked at the proposed law? I have no problem following laws, but you sell nucs in NY, the new law says they will inspect your hives and if you have to many of things they don't like then you can't sell the nucs. they don't tell you what the things are, the numbers that you must comply with, nor where the numbers will be posted so you can comply, nor who will determine what the numbers will be. the usda, randy oliver, the ESHPA? now I don't expect it to be in the law but the law should say exactly where you can find the numbers.

    as to the competant beekeepers inspecting the colonies, they have started pat bono has started giving classes, paid for by a state grant to show them how to identify diseases. One guy posted that they are to do 20 hives a year. I'm not sure how that fits in with the state inspections, the cornell tech team, the bip people or who else is looking at the hives.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Otsego County, NY, USA
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: new apiary law proposal for NY

    I did read through the proposed changes, but not enough yet for me draft a letter to my legislators. Since the 2019 session is over I don't feel an urgency to finalize an opinion overall or on the details. There is time to think and debate, so maybe this thread or one like it can serve as a forum for NY beekeepers to analize and debate the good, the bad and the ugly and present opinions to our lawmakers.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    syracuse n.y.
    Posts
    5,224

    Default Re: new apiary law proposal for NY

    Quote Originally Posted by John_M View Post
    I did read through the proposed changes, but not enough yet for me draft a letter to my legislators. Since the 2019 session is over I don't feel an urgency to finalize an opinion overall or on the details. There is time to think and debate, so maybe this thread or one like it can serve as a forum for NY beekeepers to analize and debate the good, the bad and the ugly and present opinions to our lawmakers.
    problem is if you wait the law will proceed ahead, how do you change it then?
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •