Beehive security question

Default Beehive security question

(Note: I tried posting this in Beekeeping 101 but for some reason it wouldn't let me post a topic. Please move this, sorry!)

What are your suggestions for securing an apiary? The property that our hives could potentially be located on would be completely fenced in; however, it'd be within sight of pedestrians and cars on a road at least 100-150 feet away from the hives.

Would the fencing alone be sufficient? We are concerned about vandalism, theft of the hive, etc because of media reports on malicious actions against beehives (nationally, we do not believe there are any issues in the local area). Are these concerns warranted?

Thank you!
    Last edited by musf; 08-09-2019 at 01:27 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Beehive security question

If you're that worried about vandalism (based on reports of someone actively doing so), I wouldn't put them at that location.

Hey Antarctica,

Thanks for replying! I didn't mean malicious activity in the area specifically, but in general (e.g. on national news I've seen a couple beehives be vandalized by being lit on fire and the owners losing their hives).

Then I wouldn't worry about it. I see unsecured hives from the road all the time. If you have an alternate place that is secluded, that obviously preferrable, but if not, you gotta do what you gotta do. I don't think I'd worry about vandalism that was three states away...

Worry about what you can control. You can stick some stockade fence around 3 sides if you want to have nobody see them. Yea some punks could go and kick them over. they could do a lot of things. but its not an internet trend. Thefts are usually larger yards not individual ones.

update your profile with your area as it will help with any future questions.
    Terrence

Not that It would stop vandalism or theft but you could possibly have some good photos if need with a hunting trail camera set up looking at the hives placed in a discrete location.

You also might get to see a skunk working your hives, or hopefully not but even a possible bear attack if they are in your area.

decent trail cameras are not really that expensive and could offer a little peace of mind.

Happy Home

and yes it is a good idea to edit your profile and put in your location.

Had several nucs about 30 or 40 ft from the edge of a state highway along the fence line this year. Hadn’t had a problem yet.

I do have a driveway alarm pointed at the end of the driveway. If someone comes inside the gate, it sounds off loud enough to wake me up in the house. Game cam is a good idea too.

Ryan