New queen timeline - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New queen timeline

Quote Originally Posted by TehachapiGal View Post
    No. Your timeline is not correct. Queen bee cycle. Queen egg layed to emerging from queen cell = 21 days. 3 days after birth the virgin queen takes to the trees and breeds with 10-15 drones and begins laying. Uh. Michael Bush is a published authority of honey bees.
    http://blogs.evergreen.edu/terroir-z...the-honey-bee/
    I'm not sure what being published has to do with it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Arthur View Post
    For me personally, if I had a resource nuc and a failing colony this late in the year, I'd seriously consider combining them. I don't like to take nucs into winter anyway, so it'd be a way to get the nuc into a full-size hive and get a good queen into your drone-layer.
    +1 if you have a resource NUC, just combine, the correct way maybe pinch the drone laying queen just to be safe

Quote Originally Posted by biscuitsbees View Post
    My goal was to over winter a nuc, and the nuc was created by splitting off the original queen from the now failing colony into a nuc. If possible, I would like to keep the nuc, but I may end up having to combine
    original goal,, that is your starting point. As you gain time with the bees, you will soon find the original goal is sometimes not going to happen. It is getting late in the year to play Queen games. Lay all your options on the table and pick the best one, do not let your original goal, cost you this hive now and the NUC in the winter. If you want to play, reverse your plan. Add "most of the bees and frames to the NUC, set her up for winter. Let the best Q cells hatch and mate and that is now your NUC. Again you have options. Most of the reason to have a NUC is to have it in case you need it. Having one to try to winter is also a reason, but you are taking some risk with a know good queen. end of the day it is your decision, and if you ask 5 bee keepers, you will have 13 choices

We can overwinter single deep nucs pretty successfully here in the mid-Atlantic but I would not put a full-sized hive in jeopardy to try it.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It has helped me immensely!

Yesterday I combined my queenright nuc with the queenless laying worker colony, using the newspaper combine. This was the route that my mentor recommended.

The hope is to calm the rampant laying workers and then split out a small 10 frame nuc with a mated queen from my mentor.

So the end result was that my split wasn’t successful, but I still have time to try again with an already mated queen. I have 43 frames of drawn comb, so as long as I have a queen, I should be able to get this accomplished.

Thanks again!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12