Real honey vs sugarwater honey? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Real honey vs sugarwater honey?

I feel certain that this question/concern has been going on for as long as we have been artificially feeding bees.

Not wishing to start another debate, but I suspect that any colony that has been fed syrup likely has some syrup mixed with their honey.

...and yes, sugar syrup the bees have been fed and have capped will still taste like honey. Enjoy!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    I feel certain that this question/concern has been going on for as long as we have been artificially feeding bees.

Not wishing to start another debate, but I suspect that any colony that has been fed syrup likely has some syrup mixed with their honey.

...and yes, sugar syrup the bees have been fed and have capped will still taste like honey. Enjoy!!
    +1 I concur, drummerboy. And for home use, cooking, canning it likely does not matter. Selling it....... I guess that bridge we all need to cross. Some will some won't. I guess I am "lucky" I do not feed, here in mid/north Mich from Dandelion to golden rod there is likely always something in bloom.
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    +1 I concur, drummerboy. And for home use, cooking, canning it likely does not matter. Selling it....... I guess that bridge we all need to cross. Some will some won't. I guess I am "lucky" I do not feed, here in mid/north Mich from Dandelion to golden rod there is likely always something in bloom.
    GG
    Yes, we are lucky to have a short season that provides as long as the weather also cooperates, followed by a very long winter, so our bees must be fat and healthy right NOW (mid-August) and busy bringing home the remaining nectar....our blooming season is nearly over.

We tend to only feed (honey if we have it, sugar if not) light colonies in preparation for winter 'if' the goldenrod doesn't provide enough and then again upon prepping for winter we use dry sugar (4-6 lbs per hive) placed on top of the inner cover as insurance. If bees have found the sugar come early Spring we will feed then also, but usually its honey frames that we've set aside for the purpose, not sugar.

You know, I've been reading for several years that as much as 80% of domestic honey sold in Americas stores are 'adulterated' with other ingredients. Could at least some of the adulterations be all the syrup we feed our bees?

Maybe, we should all be taking less honey and leaving more for the bees, resulting in fewer feedings of syrup and less questions/concerns about the purity of our honey? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    It will not taste like goldenrod honey. So that test will fail.

Anyway, if people don't care, just send some sugar through the bee gut, collect the proceeds and call it done.
    Who needs the flowers?

All in all, if people heed the advice and start tainting the syrup, many of these questions will just fall off.
    Who likes the blue Cool-Aid?
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    It will not taste like goldenrod honey. So that test will fail.

Anyway, if people don't care, just send some sugar through the bee gut, collect the proceeds and call it done.
    Who needs the flowers?

All in all, if people heed the advice and start tainting the syrup, many of these questions will just fall off.
    Who likes the blue Cool-Aid?
    Folks taint honey precisely because it is extremely profitable....humans do all kinds of despicable things for money or power.

LOL...while pretty stinky when bees are removing moisture (to me its like getting a big dose of mayonnaise) Goldenrod honey isn't as different to 'most' consumers as any other honey. I personally believe that most consumers cannot tell the difference between pure honey and artificially honey flavored corn syrup. It is the rare consumer along with probably the majority (?) of beekeepers that can tell the subtle differences in regional/seasonal honey's.

That all said; we generally stop taking any honey by mid to late August (about now), giving our bees roughly a month to 6 weeks collection time before the first killing frost ends all blooming.

With our summer season growing a bit longer each year that means we could reach temps in the 60's-70's (bee flying weather) and dipping well below freezing the next day, fluctuating extreme temps right up through November into December, when bees in northern WI s/b inside instead of outside seeking that which won't arrive for another 4-6 months. We had pouring rain last year with thunder and lightening in both Dec and January. The ground was frozen already so anyone can guess the issues that all provided. We also lost 60% of our bees ;( last winter despite low mite counts and plenty of honey.

As the Mayan predicted; Changes will be (are) coming at us at an ever increasing pace around the globe. Will we be able to keep up?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post

ok so now you are adding some pertinent information. Once you stopped feeding the filling of comb is likely the nectar. IF you swapped brood boxes and they rearrange stores and have super space available they would also likely move some Syrup to the supers. Your PIC looks like a 1/2 pint. 8 quarts from 4 frames is a good yield [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.beesource.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] wink wink. I would go ahead and use it as honey. next year as soon as they start in the supers stop the feeding, or slow it to a trickle. the medium frames generally run close to a quart a frame, depending on spacing. Enjoy the honey and think about the winter needs of the hives . soon you will need to prep the hives for winter.
    GG
    Goose - you’re 100% right and I messed up. They’re half pints. Good God what a mess if it had benn Full pints!!!!
    Newbeek starting w/2 Pkg hives (2019). Zone 6a Central Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Champy View Post
    So I took a frame off and crushed the honey. Smells like honey; sticky and tastes fine too but itís really clear and light colored.
    Can't tell by looking at it. Honey runs the gamut of colors from almost clear to dark as molasses. If it tastes good, eat it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12