Bees killing themselves on Air Conditioner Unit

Default Bees killing themselves on Air Conditioner Unit

I have two hives on a rooftop. The hives are located about 40ft from an A/C unit. In the past two days, the bees are flying around the blower fan and killing themselves. In large numbers. The bees are also very agitated.

There was a thread back in 2012 describing this same situation. It seemed back then the only solution anyone had was to put hardware cloth over the fan. Has anything changed, or thoughts as to why they are doing this? The A/C unit runs all day in this 85 degree weather in New Jersey. The unit shuts off at 5PM at which time the bees disperse. The unit will start up again at 8AM. Thanks in advance for your advise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bees killing themselves on Air Conditioner Unit

Probably trying to get water from the condenser, might try giving them a water source in the other direction, or screen it off as you mentioned.
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”

No experience with this but could they be going after the condensation? Hardware cloth would be a cheap, easy solution. J

I can only hypothesize on this...

Here's a possible theory.

Air conditioners mix water and air and create an air vapor. And similar to what fivej said, but said in a different way I wonder if the machine mixture of flowing air and water together gives an illusion of what a small brook or river's water air vapor smells like to them?

When you go hiking and pass near moving water like a small brook or stream, there's a very distinct air water vapor feel. And this probably smells to them a lot like how AC water vapor feels like.

Now a possible cheap fix...what you could do is get some two by fours, some caulking goo (or something similar), screws or nails, and some screen door netting and create a very cheap screen door box cover around the unit to keep them from going in it, and then seal off any gaps. You would only need a saw, and hammer or nails or a drill, apart from the other parts. If you had gotten cheap screen door netting it wouldn't harm your AC's productivity.

HOWEVER! If you did this, you'd need to make darn sure the netting is secure enough to not get blown by air flow into the AC's unit or that could cause trouble. (Do you trust your skills?)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/60-White-...IaAjttEALw_wcB

They sell it by the yard, listed as 'mosquito netting fabric I think...

https://www.seattlefabrics.com/54-No...oaAueOEALw_wcB

(I would not use plywood because of heat and air flow circulation problems.)

And on a side note, is it really dry or other water sources hard to use around your area?

Interesting theory hagane. I would just cover the fan with 1/8 inch hardware cloth. Cut it the size of the unit and secure the four corners with bricks.