swarm caught 7-20-19

Default swarm caught 7-20-19

Just looked at the bees that I put in a 5 frame hive on july 17. I have been feeding 1/1 sugar water about 1 quart per day. There are 3 frames about 3/4ths covered with comb and about half of that filled with sugar honey. There was what looked like only a couple dozen capped brood cells and the rest looked empty to me. I thought I saw the queen but it was kind of thin could it be a drone? Should there be more eggs or larva ? this is my first time trying to keep bees. Also I have a deep box on top. (Two 5 frame deeps). nothing going on in the upper box should I take it off. ANY ADVISE WOULD BE APPRICIATED THANK YOU.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: swarm caught 7-20-19

it's possible that the small swarm you caught 3 weeks ago came from a colony that was superseding a failing queen. this is common for small swarms that issue late in the season.

if all you have is a few capped worker cells a failing queen may have been able to lay those few before she crapped out. such a colony will usually attempt to make a new queen, and if they did that queen would have emerged about a week ago.

if there is a new queen and if she gets mated you might be seeing new eggs in another week or so.

if the brood cappings are raised up then you have drone eggs laid in worker cells. these could be laid by a failed queen or laying workers.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

just looked at the hive. All the bees are gone and there are beetles there. I did not see any beetles yesterday.

Bummer. Is it possible you missed the queen when you caught the swarm? Your posts do not indicate how you caught them, shake in from a branch, caught in a bait hive, or? Strange that you ended up with a few capped cells of brood and now nothing. There may have been something about the hive or the location the bees did not like and they absconded. Try to post a picture of the set up and a few of the drawn frames.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

i'm guessing there was a queen issue.

the bees may have drifted back to the parent hive.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    i'm guessing there was a queen issue.

the bees may have drifted back to the parent hive.
    I didn't see any beetles yesterday. do you think I missed them or can they move in that fast

hard to say papa. perhaps they just found your hive, or perhaps they were just taking advantage of no bees left to police the hive.

was the swarm caught close to where you placed the hive?

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Bummer. Is it possible you missed the queen when you caught the swarm? Your posts do not indicate how you caught them, shake in from a branch, caught in a bait hive, or? Strange that you ended up with a few capped cells of brood and now nothing. There may have been something about the hive or the location the bees did not like and they absconded. Try to post a picture of the set up and a few of the drawn frames.
    I shook them into into a box then put them into a 5 frame nuc box.I have taken the frames out and put them in the freezer.The bees that were outside the box went in so I think I got the queen. I have no experience except what have read and very little advise from friends.

about 2 miles from catch site

Quote Originally Posted by papa54 View Post
    about 2 miles from catch site
    hard to say for sure, but my first guess would be the swarm left the parent hive with a failing queen, she crapped out quickly, and the swarm went back home.

my second guess would be the swarm superceded their queen right off the bat, and then absconded for some reason once the new queen could fly.

don't give up papa. swarming starts early on the coast, like early march or so.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    hard to say for sure, but my first guess would be the swarm left the parent hive with a failing queen, she crapped out quickly, and the swarm went back home.

my second guess would be the swarm superceded their queen right off the bat, and then absconded for some reason once the new queen could fly.

don't give up papa. swarming starts early on the coast, like early march or so.
    I am not going to give up.more determined now than ever.gonna get more bees for sure. Thanks again for the replies