I'm stuck

Thread: I'm stuck

Default I'm stuck

I sell a product that uses natural raw honey from a beekeeper that you all know. I have about 6 hives in my backyard, and try to raise beekeeping awareness at my company events. I recently had a request to give a live demo to a group of 'influencers'. I figured I'd set up an observation hive. I bought this: https://www.mannlakeltd.com/observation-hive, Hoping I can order a queen, make a split (I would overwinter the split as a nuc since it's late for splits), leave it outside for a week, then close it up and bring it with me. Little did I know there are top ventilation holes and it's not meant for outside use.

I don't live full time where my bees are, and didn't want to open up a good hive, search for the queen, have it go queen less for 3 days, etc. Does anyone have an idea for a solution? The demo is next Friday, so I have time to order a different type of OH and receive it on time.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: I'm stuck

Hi Mahobee,

I have the same model observation hive, anytime I use it I find the queen and set up the observation hive for the day and put it back. Yes, it is a pain in the arse. You could try a "temp queen" for a few days to keep the remaining frames in a place to prevent cells from being formed.

I am not aware of any observation hive that can be left outside for too long but there are some very nice three and five frame observation hives out there that let you see all the frames as opposed to the mann lake one which requires the queen to be in the top frame on the otherside of the small queen excluder.

Depending on schedule and where you are going I am over the border and have several queen right nucs I could throw in a hive for a day if you needed them in my neck of the woods.

Default Re: I'm stuck

Thanks for the offer! I'm going to have to make a nuc for this primo queen I have. I like overwintering some nucs anyway!