Stainless uncapping tank

Default Stainless uncapping tank

Those of you who are using this:
    https://www.mannlakeltd.com/shop-all...-x-34-1-2-quot

When is it time to upgrade this? I'm currently using one of those gray uncapping tubs and by the time i'm done it is 3/4 filled with cappings. I average about 600-800 lbs of honey a year.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Stainless uncapping tank

Quote Originally Posted by spencer View Post
    Those of you who are using this:
    https://www.mannlakeltd.com/shop-all...-x-34-1-2-quot

When is it time to upgrade this? I'm currently using one of those gray uncapping tubs and by the time i'm done it is 3/4 filled with cappings. I average about 600-800 lbs of honey a year.
    youre about the same as me and i JUST bought the stainless steel mannlake one.
    So i would say its time to upgrade mate.

I can empty the grey tub a bunch of times before I spend $700.

Quote Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
    I can empty the grey tub a bunch of times before I spend $700.
    its more than that. Im a doc so i work long hours. I dont have an infinite amount of time for this hobby. I need to make extracting as efficient as possible. We use the grey tub also because we also already had one. However with 800+lbs of honey the bottle neck in the system is the uncapping station. My wife and I do this together and with the long SS tank we can fill it with 26-30 uncapped frames then one person can load the extractor while the other continues to uncap and keep the SS uncapping tank filled with uncapped frames.
    With 45 hives and all the equipment/supers etc the $500 i spent for a used SS uncapping tank was a good deal.
    I bought my clarifying tank/wax melter/bottling tank/honey pump all for a few hundred bucks used also.
    I did buy a new 20 F maxant extractor and its worth its weight in gold.

Each to their own though i guess man but for me this is a hobby and the toys are part of it. Kind of like golf . I SUCK at golf but i have nice clubs anyway because thats part of the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    its more than that. Im a doc so i work long hours. I dont have an infinite amount of time for this hobby. I need to make extracting as efficient as possible. We use the grey tub also because we also already had one. However with 800+lbs of honey the bottle neck in the system is the uncapping station. My wife and I do this together and with the long SS tank we can fill it with 26-30 uncapped frames then one person can load the extractor while the other continues to uncap and keep the SS uncapping tank filled with uncapped frames.
    With 45 hives and all the equipment/supers etc the $500 i spent for a used SS uncapping tank was a good deal.
    I bought my clarifying tank/wax melter/bottling tank/honey pump all for a few hundred bucks used also.
    I did buy a new 20 F maxant extractor and its worth its weight in gold.

Each to their own though i guess man but for me this is a hobby and the toys are part of it. Kind of like golf . I SUCK at golf but i have nice clubs anyway because thats part of the hobby.
    My bottleneck also used to be the uncapping. I bit the bullet and purchased a Maxant Chain Uncapper and think it is the best purchase I've made for beekeeping. I can uncap my next batch while my current batch is spinning. I spun about 300 frames and if I was uncapping by hand, my wrist would have given out after 100. Now, it is 5 seconds to uncap and 10-20 seconds to address any sunken areas.

Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    My bottleneck also used to be the uncapping. I bit the bullet and purchased a Maxant Chain Uncapper and think it is the best purchase I've made for beekeeping. I can uncap my next batch while my current batch is spinning. I spun about 300 frames and if I was uncapping by hand, my wrist would have given out after 100. Now, it is 5 seconds to uncap and 10-20 seconds to address any sunken areas.
    im REALLY tempted to pull the trigger on a chain uncapper. My concern is that ive heard they will block up filters really quickly with wax fragments as opposed to an uncapping plane.
    What has your experience been with that particular issue?

Google the Simple Harmony Farms Uncapper. A great uncapper and reasonable.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    im REALLY tempted to pull the trigger on a chain uncapper. My concern is that ive heard they will block up filters really quickly with wax fragments as opposed to an uncapping plane.
    What has your experience been with that particular issue?
    I uncap into a bin that is under the machine. The Maxant bin is 2 parts, an inner punch plate that fits into a bin that has a honey gate on it. After uncapping the 300 frames, the bin was almost filled with cappings but the bonus was that there was over 5 gallons of honey that dripped from the chain. I strained that with a 400 micron sieve on a 5 gallon bucket.
    Next year I want to get the Capping Junior to help spin out the cappings. This year I tried compressing the cappings with a wax press to squeeze out the honey. It worked but it was very time consuming.

Also, Aran, what clarifying tank are you using? I manage about 40 hives and want to make the extracted honey as clean as possible before storing in buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Google the Simple Harmony Farms Uncapper. A great uncapper and reasonable.
    yup i like this gadget but my wife likes to use the cappings wax for candles so this is a no go.

Also, Aran, what clarifying tank are you using? I manage about 40 hives and want to make the extracted honey as clean as possible before storing in buckets.
    i was really blessed in finding a bunch of extracting equipment in an estate sale. I dont know the brand of the clarifying tank but it has two heaters, 3 baffles and is large. Its 40 inches long, 18inches tall and 24 inches wide i think from memory

I uncap into a bin that is under the machine. The Maxant bin is 2 parts, an inner punch plate that fits into a bin that has a honey gate on it. After uncapping the 300 frames, the bin was almost filled with cappings but the bonus was that there was over 5 gallons of honey that dripped from the chain. I strained that with a 400 micron sieve on a 5 gallon bucket.
    Next year I want to get the Capping Junior to help spin out the cappings. This year I tried compressing the cappings with a wax press to squeeze out the honey. It worked but it was very time consuming.
    yes exactly im going to be getting a wax spinner next year also.
    I have always just extracted straight through a double sieve into a 5 gallon bucket but now i have the maxant double filter to fun into the bottling tank.
    this is why im worried about the fragments of cappings on the actual frames getting into and blocking that double filter up. I had heard that was an issue with the chain uncappers but i have no personal experience with it.
    DOes the bin under your uncapper come with the uncapper?

I was able to talk the Maxant salesman to include it with the uncapper. I just had to pay for shipping. I don't have any experience with how clean the honey is coming out of the uncapper but I would think a strainer and the clarifying tank would remove 99% of the wax leaving a filter to remove the rest.