Ross rounds leaking

Default Ross rounds leaking

I'm a new user of the Ross Round comb honey system, I've problems using it. The covers don't fit tight on the section rings, and if there's any broken comb cell, or when you cut a piece of comb, the honey flows through the space between the cover and the ring, and leaks everywhere. A piece of tape around the section solve the problem for the transportation, but the honey leaks as soon as the customers remove the tape. That looks dirty, and if I'd sell them at my customers as it, most of them won't buy them again. A picture : (Uncut combs, honey coming from some broken cells only).

ross_round.jpg

Is this a well known problem, or am I missing something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ross rounds leaking

I've made round sections for years and have never seen anything like that. You are doing something wrong; what I don't know. I'm certainly glad to help, if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatouille View Post
    I'm a new user of the Ross Round comb honey system, I've problems using it. The covers don't fit tight on the section rings, and if there's any broken comb cell, or when you cut a piece of comb, the honey flows through the space between the cover and the ring, and leaks everywhere. A piece of tape around the section solve the problem for the transportation, but the honey leaks as soon as the customers remove the tape. That looks dirty, and if I'd sell them at my customers as it, most of them won't buy them again. A picture : (Uncut combs, honey coming from some broken cells only).

ross_round.jpg

Is this a well known problem, or am I missing something?
    Possibly defective pieces? I'd contact the vendor for ideas.

if I remember correctly these people bought the Ross Round system, give them a call and ask, but looking at the top RR in the picture, it doesn't look capped, if not capped they absorb moisture, expand and leak. http://www.hungrybearfarms.com/
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

I have produced, packaged, and sold thousands of Ross Rounds and have never had a problem with leaking. A couple of thoughts occur to me:
    1. Producers of cut comb, which will leak profusely from the "cuts", let the pieces drain for several hours before packaging. If you know the Ross Rounds have been damaged, cut, etc. why not let them drain for several hours before putting on the covers and label?
    2. Could you be squeezing them too hard or otherwise causing the cells to break?

After taking the frames from the super, the two halves should be separated. Either do that by slightly twisting the frame, or by using a hive tool along the line at the top of the frame. After removing one half of the frame, the four sections will be left in the remaining half. Gently grab the exposed ring and remove the entire section from the frame. Do not lay it flat, but stand it upright while removing the other sections from the frame. Then take a knife and carefully trim the excess wax from each section. Just hold the section while doing this, do not squeeze. When the excess wax is removed again stand the section up on the rings and do not lay it flat. Typically I fill an entire table with about 400 sections while I am trimming the excess wax.
    Then I put the top and bottom covers on each section. When both covers are on I will then lay the sections flat and stack one section on top of another. Finally, I will put on labels.
    As I said, I have never had a problem with 'leaking'.
    Lloyd Spear