Pex pipe for honey

Default Pex pipe for honey

I have seen many who use pvc pipe for pumping honey through. Any ideas about using pex? It is rated for potable water, so I'd think it'd be ok. My entire house is plumbed with the stuff.

I assume it'd be best to use the plastic fittings rather than the brass due to corrosion. Looking to pump through a 1" hose from my extracting room to a 600 gallon milk tank I have set up.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Pex pipe for honey

Pex is the better product and far greater hot strength, not that it should be an issue unless really hot water rinsing. Plastic fittings are less likely to leach out anything into the honey.

Some of the brass import items are not too careful about the lead content! Same with their so called "zinc" galvanizing!
    Frank

Bdfarmer555: If you ever do something with pex in your honey house, I sure would like to hear about it and see pictures. I can't think of a reason that it would not only work, but be greatly superior to pvc for those purposes.

I think the biggest problem would be finding a large enough diameter. And fittings to go with it.

I have a reinforced 2" hose from the extractor to the sump, with 1-1/2" reinforced hose between the sump and the pump. Currently have a 1" reinforced hose going to a 65 gallon bottling tank, but that stuff isn't cheap, and a longer run to the big tank will be easier and cheaper with the 1" pex.

Thanx guys.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdfarmer555 View Post
    I assume it'd be best to use the plastic fittings rather than the brass due to corrosion.
    I second trying to find and use either plastic or stainless steel fittings. Brass can get chewed up and release junk in acidic solutions and honey is a bit acidic.

A quick search found this article that describes the affect of PH on pluming pipes (and fittings)
    https://www.plumbingsupply.com/ed-ph-acid-base.html

Remember too that any valves used need to be certified lead free, safe for potable water. Many brass valves are not. Stainless is pricey but worth the extra expense IMO.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.