MAQS on single deep hive

Default MAQS on single deep hive

For people that are using single deep brood chambers and treating with MAQS, do you add a super for added space during the treatment period?

After pulling honey, those single deeps are quite full of bees. I know the MAQS directions suggest the addition of a super, but Iím curious how many folks haul supers back to the yards and put them back on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: MAQS on single deep hive

i treat with MAQS in the spring when i put my first honey supers on. so the short answer to your question is yes. MAQS when above 80* highs is rough on the colony.

I treat in the spring prior to adding a super, and haven't had any issues. For this treatment I target when the hive is getting close to needing a super (e.g. I know it is healthy and the queen is good), but otherwise simply follow the manufacture's instructions. No losses to report to date - but I'm also doing it at a time where the temperature is in the lower-half of the suggested temperature range.

On a single deep do you use a single or double strip. I run single deeps and plan on using MAQs after the fall harvest. I plan on using a empty honey super at that time. I use SBB but will close about 50%.

single deep, single strip, medium honey super. entrance at half of full width. solid bottoms.
    edit: i will then come back 7-14 days later to remove strips, confirm viable queen remains, and add more supers.

Double strip on a single deep, as per the manufacture's instructions for a full-dose treatment.

I will probably go with one strip as my hives have done poorly this year and I dont want to stress them any further. If necessry I willtest and use agian.
    Thanks for the help.