fallen comb

Thread: fallen comb

Default fallen comb

Hi all, I'm a newbie beekeeper, build two Warre hive this past winter and put the bees in early May. I ended up having to get my bees in nuc, rather than packages so had to cut down the four frames to fit my boxes, so the middle four frames in the brood box have the plastic forms the outer two just the bar. Bees did well and filled the brood box, the second box is also almost full and 2 weeks ago I added the third box.

Inspecting this morning I had a bit of a disaster. The outer frame of the brood box had be attached to the hive wall and I did not get it completely separated when I pulled the frame for inspection, so the bar pulled off leaving the comb attached to the wall. When returning the box to the hive the comb then fell out onto the ground. It appears to be mostly honey but I'm not 100% sure on that. Since I have an entrance box on the bottom with a clean out door, and the third box that was recently added has minimal construction on it so far, I put the broken comb on a waxed bit of cardboard and slid it into the entrance box, figuring the bees would salvage what they could and I would remove what was left in a couple of weeks.

Was this a good idea? or should I just pull it out and let the bees do as they like?

thanks for your advice

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: fallen comb

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rice View Post
    ..... Since I have an entrance box on the bottom with a clean out door, and the third box that was recently added has minimal construction on it so far, I put the broken comb on a waxed bit of cardboard and slid it into the entrance box, figuring the bees would salvage what they could and I would remove what was left in a couple of weeks.

Was this a good idea? or should I just pull it out and let the bees do as they like?

thanks for your advice
    Since you do not show your location (and the appropriate season along with it) no one will be able to give you a good answer.

With that, it is better to keep that broken comb inside for the bees to cleanup, not outside (to prevent potential robbing trigger).
    As a matter of fact, I would just attach the comb back to a top bar using painter's tape and just put it all right back into the hive (could be broken up into few pieces too and attached to few top bars).
    You can also put those re-attached combs into your "third box that was recently added has minimal construction on it" - this will make the third box more attractive to the bees.

OR have some honey for yourself - the no-brainer option (I often take advantage of collapsed/malformed combs to just steal them for myself).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Default Re: fallen comb

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Since you do not show your location (and the appropriate season along with it) no one will be able to give you a good answer.

With that, it is better to keep that broken comb inside for the bees to cleanup, not outside (to prevent potential robbing trigger).
    As a matter of fact, I would just attach the comb back to a top bar using painter's tape and just put it all right back into the hive (could be broken up into few pieces too and attached to few top bars).
    You can also put those re-attached combs into your "third box that was recently added has minimal construction on it" - this will make the third box more attractive to the bees.

OR have some honey for yourself - the no-brainer option (I often take advantage of collapsed/malformed combs to just steal them for myself).
    Thanks Greg, I am in Ontario Canada and we are right in the middle of our summer.
    I think I will see if it is possible to attach to a bar for putting into the new box