Crowded Hive

Thread: Crowded Hive

Default Crowded Hive

I have a hive that was new from a package the year. I was able to supply the hive with drawn comb and quite a bit of honey from the start. (I had frames of honey that were on the hive last year while it was being treated so I can't harvest it.) They have filled all of their frames in the brood boxes and one honey super. I am getting ready to remove the honey super, but the hive seems awfully crowded right now for just 2 boxes.

I was thinking of adding an empty super to give them room until the numbers naturally decrease. Is this desirable, OK but not necessary, or not good for some reason? I am in Mid Michigan and our honey season is just about over.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Crowded Hive

Ya, they could still swarm on you if the brood nest gets crowded, we still have the golden rod flow coming up, which is a iffy flow and hard to predict. I’d keep one on and monitor just as a precaution.
    Rod

Default Re: Crowded Hive

I'd give them space! You can always manipulate frames and tighten things up later.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"