Why would a queen less hive swarm with newly hatched queen

Default Why would a queen less hive swarm with newly hatched queen

I have a hive that was in the process of requeening itself. I saw a queen walking around a frame on 7/30 and 8/1 it swarmed with the new queen. Checked today there is still a decent amount of bees in the hive and several queen cells. The swarm is still hanging in the tree where it originally landed(way out of reach)

Why would the newly hatched queen swarm?

What should I do going forward? Do I buy a queen? I do have a nuc with a laying queen I could combine with the queen less hive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Why would a queen less hive swarm with newly hatched queen

The answer will depend on why the hive was requeening itself. IE, was it requeening because it had just sent out it's laying queen in a swarm, or was it requeening because you had made it queenless?
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

I made it queenless. I took her out to start the nuc and I wanted to attempt to raise my own queen.

May have become honey bound while taking the time to raise a queen. Might check to make sure that isn't the case but be extra gentle with frames containing the queen cells.

If you're looking to increase, I'd keep the nuc as planned and work thru this with the parent hive personally.
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”

Agreed. Might also have been prepping to swarm before you took the queen, and decided to go ahead anyway. Which does happen somtimes when splits are taken to prevent swarming, but too many bees are left behind.

I am in exactly the same situation. Removed a good queen to a nuc to encourage queen cells, then split the hive up with the queen cells into 2 more nucs plus the original hive. I heard piping one day and 2 days later the hive swarmed!

It was pretty full of bees in two deeps. I wonder if the heat didn't have something to do with it. It was a very hot day and maybe they just started feeling hot and overcrowded. Fortunately I happened to see the swarm start and caught the swarm minutes later.

I am thinking it’s honey bound. Haven’t done a thorough inspection as I didn’t want to disrupt the requeening process.

It’s a double deep that’s loaded with bees. I saw capped queen cells after it swarmed so I closed it up. Don’t want to buy a queen and have her decide to leave. I am thinking to ride it out and see what happens.

Often times there’ll be too many virgins emerging at the same time and one will fly off during the fighting taking the bees that are aligned with her.
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by rwlaw View Post
    Often times there’ll be too many virgins emerging at the same time and one will fly off during the fighting taking the bees that are aligned with her.
    agreed. i've heard as many as 5 different virgins piping in a hive after the old queen has already swarmed out, only to lead to afterswarms.

this is why some folks will go back a week or so after splitting and cull all but a couple of best looking queen cells.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I found the queen in the part that swarmed, but wasn't able to find any queen in the hive left behind. I'll give them a week and if still no signs of a queen maybe I'll reunite the hive, but with some extra space.

In post 1 you said that after it swarmed, you checked and it had some queen cells. So they presumably hatched and there will be a virgin, not finding her does not mean she is not there.

I had one abscond last week.I found only one queen cell in the brood nest that had hatched and there was no other brood.No dead bees anywhere like a robbing took place and there was plenty stores before plus a feeder that had been filled a couple days before.You usually find some indication of why they left but then sometimes you dont.But at least I got a hive full of good fresh drawn out combs from them.