Pouring from 5 gallon bucket
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pouring from 5 gallon bucket

Has anyone figured out a way to pour sugar syrup from a 5 gallon bucket into top hive feeders. Have been doing it for years and find it to BEE a mess. I used to transfer to 5 gallon water cooler containers but they have such small openings, it didn't work. Is there some kind of pump available? I have under 20 hives and usually mix at the house with hot water and then place the buckets in th back of a cart on my tractor and bring to the bee yard. Also I am older and have trouble picking up the heavy buckets at each hive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Pouring from 5 gallon bucket

A yachtsman's manual bilge pump can shift a lot of liquid in a relatively short time, and yet still have a controllable flow - worth considering ?
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

I have around 24 hives at the moment. I mix the syrup up 2 gallons at a time and pour it into 1 gal jugs in the kitchen. I can then carry the very easy to pour jugs out to the bee yard. It does take awhile to mix up 100# of sugar, 10# at a time.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    A yachtsman's manual bilge pump can shift a lot of liquid in a relatively short time, and yet still have a controllable flow - worth considering ?
    LJ
    I second this. Also an in line fuel primer bulb may work as well, it’s only 3/8” so might not flow as much.

I use a bucket with a honey gate at the bottom.

Some sort of transfer pump might work.

I found this and it might be worth trying (or something similar) https://www.amazon.com/TERAPUMP-Cook...gateway&sr=8-2
    I have seen cheaper versions of this, but this is what that came up in a 2 minute search.

Quote Originally Posted by Plannerwgp View Post
    Has anyone figured out a way to pour sugar syrup from a 5 gallon bucket into top hive feeders. Have been doing it for years and find it to BEE a mess. I used to transfer to 5 gallon water cooler containers but they have such small openings, it didn't work. Is there some kind of pump available? I have under 20 hives and usually mix at the house with hot water and then place the buckets in th back of a cart on my tractor and bring to the bee yard. Also I am older and have trouble picking up the heavy buckets at each hive.
    Would not solve your problem of lifting the heavy buckets but might be easier to fill the hive top feeders. I use an one gallon pitcher and pour from my bucket(s) into the gallon pitcher and fill my feeders via the pitcher. Little or no spill and much easier to lift and pour from the gallon pitcher and of course buckets is easier to lift each time .

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Madsen View Post
    I use a bucket with a honey gate at the bottom.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

If you wanted to go super easy, a 12v submersible pump of sufficient capacity can be had for well under $50. Hook up to tractor battery and drop it in the bucket. Syrup comes out the end of the hose.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I pour syrup from the 5 gal bucket into a 2 gallon container in the filed, probably a little more than a gallon each time, and then pourt from that into whatever container I'm using. It doesn't cut down on the labor, per se, but it makes things a lot easier to control and to lift, which does make it easier.
    Year 3
    Zone 7b 3500 ft.

i use a watering can where the opening is large and the handle doesn't get in the way, sort of like this only with a short handle

https://www.gardeners.com/buy/french...ET0109#start=1
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

I use something like this but only fill it 2/3 full.Fry oil comes in them so if you look around you can find them for free from restaurants or big grocery stores.Not as sturdy as a bucket so I carry in a milk crate

https://www.kelleybees.com/5-gallon-plastic-container.html

I mix 25 lbs of sugar in a 5 gal bucket and fill one gallon jars at the house

I spent some money getting my setup right. i used to do the 5 gallon bucket thing and it is a mess. Plus you might as well ring the robbing dinner bell.
    I got a 55 gallon poly barrel and use a harbor freight trash pump to mix it up. the pump is sitting on the bottom and pvc comes up through the top, has a shut off valve that allows filling of whatever, and more pvc that goes back to the bottom of the barrel with a 90 to circulate it around the barrel.
    I cut a part of the top off so i can get the pump in as well as pour sugar easier. Then made a hinged lid that snaps closed to keep bees out of it.
    I used to have a 3/4 garden spicket at the bottom to get the 2-1 one out but it never was good. even tried a dc transfer pump and a hose with not much success. So i cut it again and put in a 2 inch ball valve. Works great with just gravity.
    I strap the barrel in the back of my truck at all four tie down points and mix it up. go out to the yards which are 10 miles away and stick in a piece of pvc that gets it past the tailgate. i use 5 gallon buckets filling only 2 gallons which are what my feeders hold.
    maybe you can use some of this to help your setup. I really do like 1 gallon water jugs and my fill hose off the pump will fit in the mouth. I use this if i only have a few hives that need help.
    Terrence

I found a pump that has a lid that fits on 5 gallon buckets. Once the lid is securred you simply hand pump the syrup into the top feeders.I havent used it yet but I can place 5 gallon buckets of sysrup into my trailer on the tractor and pull to each hive and then pump. I bought it at Sears but it was shipped via Amazon. Amazon also has similar products listed. They are used for pumping hydraulic fluids into trucks, engines etc. I think ittwas about $40.00 and if it works it will save this old man's back.

5 gallon pail manual pumps exist that may work. I haven't tried it myself but would be curious. They are used for pumping oil or hydraulic fluid out of pails so may work for sugar syrup as well. Similar pumps also exist for those blue water jugs.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=5+gallon+p...dc&ref=a9_sc_1

I followed your link and the one I purchased is the one with the long post. Hope it doesn't leak.
    Quote Originally Posted by justbee01 View Post
    5 gallon pail manual pumps exist that may work. I haven't tried it myself but would be curious. They are used for pumping oil or hydraulic fluid out of pails so may work for sugar syrup as well. Similar pumps also exist for those blue water jugs.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=5+gallon+p...dc&ref=a9_sc_1

I use those pumps at work. The volume per stroke is not very high but they are easy to operate. Hope it works out well.

Those Amazon pumps look a bit lightweight to me ...

I was thinking more along the lines of something like this:

Which is a pump designed to dispense oils etc from a 55-gallon drum. It's very similar in construction to a bilge pump, with a diaphragm and a pair of flap-valves. Easy to dismantle and clean.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

The Amazon pumps are not made for heavy duty service, but the one I purchased is very well constructed for the money. I have not tried it out yet but I will be doing so in about a couple of weeks and will let you know how it performs. I was actually surprised with the good qaulity but, that doesnt mean it will do the job. We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    Those Amazon pumps look a bit lightweight to me ...

I was thinking more along the lines of something like this:

Which is a pump designed to dispense oils etc from a 55-gallon drum. It's very similar in construction to a bilge pump, with a diaphragm and a pair of flap-valves. Easy to dismantle and clean.
    LJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast