Varroa mite count

Default Varroa mite count

I decided to do an OAV treatment on all of my hives last week. I did not do a count on the front end to see what the mite load was. I figured OAV is supposed to be relatively harmless to the bees so I might as well. A couple of days after I treated I counted the mites under the screened bottom board and it was in the neighborhood of 100 dead mites on one hive. After the second treatment the number did not change much at all. Is this a high or low number for 2 brood boxes that are fairly well packed to the gills?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Varroa mite count

well everything I have read says 85% of the mites are under the capping's, so the first treatment would take out the 15% that was on the mites, how long between treatments? if you did it in 5-7 days I would have expected the second count to be a little higher if the 85% number is correct, and all this is assuming that ant's aren't making off with some of the mites that were killed. not really an exact science now is it?
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Was this over 24 hours? That number is pretty high, Ontairo Tech Transfer says the treatment level is 12 per 24 hours for this time of year. The northeast center for beekeeping did a nice write up on treatment levels and how to use a screened bottom board to count.

https://www.betterbee.com/images/Var...structions.pdf

Keep in mind OA does not work on brood under the capping, its effectiveness is 82-99% when brood not present. So its best to use early or late year.

If you haven't seen it the HBHC has a nice tool for varroa management guide:

https://honeybeehealthcoalition.org/...n_June2018.pdf

Disregard - I misread when you were counting, I missed that it was a post treatment count.
    Last edited by HeadofMeadow; 08-02-2019 at 01:45 PM. Reason: I didn't read :)

above post brought to mind, Randy oliver has a mite calculator/predictor on his site that you can probably put you're numbers into and figure out how you are doing.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Depending on the numbers of frames of bees in the hive a 100 mites could be 1% on 10000 bees so figure how many frames of bees. 1000 per frame for mediums or 1500 per frame for deeps.
    Now 100 mites per treatment means you probably got most of the phoretic mites which are only 20 % of the infestation unless the hive is broodless so if you treat eve ry 4 or 5 days you could get 100 fall at every treatment if you are lucky one of the reasons I like at least 5 treatment per session.