Greetings from Suriname!

Default Greetings from Suriname!

Hi everyone!

I'm a poultry farmer by trade, and a hobbyist gardener. I'm very passionate about bees and would love to start keeping a few hives and maybe even start a small business selling honey and wax products.
    I've ordered a few books and am looking for local beekeepers to talk to about getting a look around their hives.

Please shower me with tips and advice I'm already well into analysis paralysis so no harm done!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Greetings from Suriname!

Welcome to Beesource V. Hilly. I am sure you will find everything you need to get started here on our threads.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I had to google where that was....... You're not far from the equator, so I imagine that bee keeping will be a year-round effort for you. Good luck, and welcome to BeeSource.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
    I had to google where that was....... You're not far from the equator, so I imagine that bee keeping will be a year-round effort for you. Good luck, and welcome to BeeSource.
    It's definitely hot all year round here! I'm hoping to start with some of the local sting-less bees but the differences in how they build their hives are going to be a challenge... They build their comb horizontally and they keep their honey in individual 'pots!'

Quote Originally Posted by V.Hilly View Post
    It's definitely hot all year round here! I'm hoping to start with some of the local sting-less bees but the differences in how they build their hives are going to be a challenge... They build their comb horizontally and they keep their honey in individual 'pots!'
    Sting-less bees sound interesting, and horizontal comb will be different. I'm not sure what you mean by individual 'pots' for storing honey. Maybe some pictures might enlighten us as to different bees and their hives. Tending a different kind of bee will be foreign to most of us, so not sure if we can be much help.

Welcome!

I'd suggest looking into what beekeepers in your area use for equipment, and follow suit. If they use American-style Langstroth hives that's fine. If they use home-built boxes that's fine too. Have a local handyman or carpenter make a few hives in the local design before you look into buying bees. I do not buy bees but depend on caught swarms.

Quote Originally Posted by V.Hilly View Post
    I saw this in Central America. The local farmers would find wild stingless bees nesting in hollow trees. They cut down the trees and carried the log home and hung it from the porch rafters. They plugged the hollow ends with mud, leaving just a small entrance. To harvest they rammed a pole down through the hollow trunk and the honey poured out the lower end. I don't know how the bees survived that! The honey was different from honeybee honey, thinner and with a different taste. Quite valuable but production was very low. The bees made their 'comb' out of mud, I believe.

I say read this blog and see for yourself (Honduras):

http://musingsonbeekeeping.blogspot....ing-my_12.html
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.