Blackberry flow is over in Portland. Should I leave them an extra super?

Default Blackberry flow is over in Portland. Should I leave them an extra super?

Greetings! I'm still trying to figure out the beekeeping-in-Portland thing...

When I kept bees in Reno, NV, there were a few late-season nectar flows. The bees would top off their stores right before winter. But here, in Portland, I understand that blackberry is the last significant flow of the year. I hear it's common to pull the supers right about now.

The double-deeps are well stocked. Do I need to leave an extra super (or two) of honey on my hives to make up for the long time between now and winter?

I'd prefer to let them eat their own honey instead of feeding them in the fall...

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Blackberry flow is over in Portland. Should I leave them an extra super?

I am just east of you in Boring and I find that there is nothing after blackberry. I pull and extract in mid to late July, check and treat for mites and then try to make a split/ or nuc for winter. IMHO if you leave them honey they will keep brooding up into the end of August. We did have some rain in July so maybe things will not be as dry and dead as normal.
    Kuro on the bloom dates in Washington does a real good job of tracking blooms and they are about a week apart. They get more rain than we do but I find her report is good if you want to look for last year.
    Everybody does it their own way.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Default Re: Blackberry flow is over in Portland. Should I leave them an extra super?

Down her in south oregon, I will be harvesting in a week or 2, just letting them cap the last of the nectar. plus we have wildflowers happening for a bit.
    Don't know about North Oregon except your rains start in about 45-60 days
    Your blackberry honey is way to valuable to let the bees consume it, it costs me $25 in sugar per hive atm to feed to weight for winter.
    I get $200 + in saleable honey per hive on avg. this year is a boomer. I'll get more honey this season than last season, and last year was fuggin bountiful.
    it's way way cheaper to feed sugar to your bees even if you buy your 25lb bags at wal mart for $13/bag.
    think about it, harvest your balckberry, bottle and sell it $10-15lb, use a little of the cash for sugar and have profit in the pocket or let the bees eat that pocket cash.
    you choose
    DavidZ