Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Help identifying formation within the comb

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Gino45 
#1 ·
Good afternoon, in one of our hives, one the edge of the comb in the broodbox an interesting formation within the cell. It is capped, but rounded, hard and dry in the middle. I have tried to search through the forums and have been looking at disease pictures and nothing jumps out at me as being close. The hive is very strong, two deep 8 frame brood and we just harvested two supers from it.

Mite count in May 2/300, treated with formic pro, the hive is doing great, I just never saw these little "missiles" in the cell comb.

Beehive Bee Insect Honeycomb Honeybee
Honeycomb Bee Beehive Insect Honeybee

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know so am giving you a bump for the more experienced people to look at. Never saw anything like that, but I will say that the larvae don't look good in that area either. By the way, your mite count in May is meaningless now. You are at the height of mite population with a declining bee population coming. Re-test asap. J

#3 ·
Thanks for the note, it is a very wierd formation (long gone). Our IPM was to pull and treat 7/15 but Connecticut isn't having their typical dearth so the plan is to continue to monitor but bull supers and treat in mid august then OA to knock back down for winter. Hope all is going well in Rutland county, met a keeper over the border near whitehall who was complaining about the number of swarms he saw this year. I asked around at the Rutland Farmers market though and not many others were complaining about it being a high swarm year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.