Making a Bee Hive

Default Making a Bee Hive

I had an emergency on my hands when I had to re-capture bees that had swarmed and left their hive. Having run out of hive boxes, I put them in a cardboard box and went to work in the shop making a proper hive for them. (Spoiler: All worked out fine!)

https://youtu.be/Ckj1KIMG_RM
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com
    Paul Montgomery -- C-I-E-I-O

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Making a Bee Hive

Very nice work Paul. What kind of respirator are you wearing? Never saw anything like that. J

Very nice work. I am too lazy to cut finger joints, even after making a jig. Rabbets work fine for me, but it is a pleasure to see a craftsman at work.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Very nice work Paul. What kind of respirator are you wearing? Never saw anything like that. J
    It's called a Resp-o-Rator. I made a short video about it when I first got it:

https://youtu.be/Z3rl67MEbuc
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Very nice work. I am too lazy to cut finger joints, even after making a jig. Rabbets work fine for me, but it is a pleasure to see a craftsman at work.
    Thanks!
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com

Very nice work Paul, always enjoy your videos. I see your hive with the arch top is still looking fantastic. Like you I've also found that it is just easier to cut the frame rests with a router after the box is assembled. I just got a new cordless trim router but I don't have a 1/4" shaft rabbet bit to fit it. I'm aching to try it out for cutting frame rests once I get a bit.
    Zone 5B

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    Very nice work Paul, always enjoy your videos. I see your hive with the arch top is still looking fantastic. Like you I've also found that it is just easier to cut the frame rests with a router after the box is assembled. I just got a new cordless trim router but I don't have a 1/4" shaft rabbet bit to fit it. I'm aching to try it out for cutting frame rests once I get a bit.
    Thanks. The arch top hive needed freshening up at the beginning of the season. I usually don't spend a lot of time making my boxes pretty, but that one is and exception.
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com

The resp o rater looks a little silly, but I bet its more comfortable and less sweaty than a conventional one. Looks like your attic is as organized as mine. J

Never trust a person with a clean workshop. (or attic)
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com