You guys that raise Autumn queens: When do you graft?

Default You guys that raise Autumn queens: When do you graft?

Title asks it, but board says I gotta type something here.
    Zone 5B

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: You guys that raise Autumn queens: When do you graft?

Mated 3 queens in early September last year.
    The problem was - what to do with them this late?
    Ended up loosing all three mini nucs.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Callie is going to develop a complex with all this “new queen” talk. LOL!

I prefer to have my end of season queens mating during our fall flow which is primarily September. They can be sold or utilized in our own apiary this late here in North middle Tennessee. If I want to overwinter them small I introduce them into a split consisting of a good frame of capped brood, a frame of older larvae, two shakes of bees and of course the adhering bees on the previously mentioned brood frames. Then I give them 3 combs and feed them patties and give them 2:1 or pro sweet. As long as the mites are low, they have enough feed given and the queen is good these packed nucs overwinter very well here and if given proper TLC
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

Just out of curiosity what are your plans with the queens that late in September? I only ask because I live an hour or so north from you and that you might be on to something!

* that late in the season not September.

I want to try a graft and try my hand but i am thinking i will wait till spring. I am in south MS so i could probably do it weather wise I just dont want to screw anything up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksotherhoney View Post
    Just out of curiosity what are your plans with the queens that late in September? I only ask because I live an hour or so north from you and that you might be on to something!
    Primarily I suck at grafting so #1) more practice and #2) some nucs to winter. I'm almost tempted to graft two full bars (30) just to see what I get, but I can only provide mating nucs for six, so if I get more I'll be giving out queen cells. I'm still deciding if I'll go ahead and graft this weekend since I suppose I haven't got anything to loose except the effort plus I really need the practice. My last graft only had two of fourteen even be accepted but then one got torn down in the cell finisher. So desperately need practice since its four summers since I first tried and I'm not getting better. On the off chance I get more than six do you want a cell?
    Zone 5B

I just keep grafting from May until the bees aren't interested. Some people have the goal of having queens after the solstice. So that would be anytime after June 20th or so.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF