Most Common Jar Size
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Belmont, Michigan
    Posts
    192

    Default Most Common Jar Size

    For the hobby beekeeper, what do you find is the most used jar size for selling your honey?

    I wanted to get some cases of glass jars and was thinking maybe some 1 lb., 2 lb. and 60 lb. pails.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Mcnairy county, TN.
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: Most Common Jar Size

    Pints and qts. work for us.

  4. #3

    Default Re: Most Common Jar Size

    Bumping this as I have a similar question. My relatives are looking to bottle some honey from their small apiary near Houston.

    This will be to give family and friends, mostly local, some shipped to another state.

    Should they go for glass? plastic?

    What are the most common sizes? 12oz? 16 oz and 32oz?

    Thank you

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Aylett, Virginia
    Posts
    5,381

    Default Re: Most Common Jar Size

    Anything that will be shipped should go in a plastic container.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

  6. #5

    Default Re: Most Common Jar Size

    Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Anything that will be shipped should go in a plastic container.
    Thank you @JWPalmer

    Any advice on sizing is welcome

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,512

    Default Re: Most Common Jar Size

    I do just pints and Quarts , Not sure I would eat Honey out of plastic.
    I have seen some years the pints go faster and some years the Quarts. odd thing to watch.
    I just look for sales in the christmas time frame on jars and get 20-30 boxes.
    Many of the folks I sell to can reuse the jar so that in my mind helps with trash. Some bring them back.


    If your family and friends are into recycling ask them to "bring" thier own, and fill from a 5 gal bucket.
    Pull out the jars cost and washing labor and cut them a deal. Saves you the time to buy, haul, store, wash , sell.
    Weigh up your standard size, back out the container and come up with an per ounce price then weigh in the empties and weigh out the fulls.

    GG

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Algoma District Northern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,718

    Default Re: Most Common Jar Size

    GG; This year I would not like the traffic and contact that would come with the BYO bottling gig!

    Will have to see if Costco/Walmart uses the canning jars as a loss leader this year. Maybe canning jars will be like bread yeast.
    Frank

  9. #8

    Default Re: Most Common Jar Size

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    I do just pints and Quarts , Not sure I would eat Honey out of plastic.
    I have seen some years the pints go faster and some years the Quarts. odd thing to watch.
    I just look for sales in the christmas time frame on jars and get 20-30 boxes.
    Many of the folks I sell to can reuse the jar so that in my mind helps with trash. Some bring them back.


    If your family and friends are into recycling ask them to "bring" thier own, and fill from a 5 gal bucket.
    Pull out the jars cost and washing labor and cut them a deal. Saves you the time to buy, haul, store, wash , sell.
    Weigh up your standard size, back out the container and come up with an per ounce price then weigh in the empties and weigh out the fulls.

    GG
    Thank you. I do not think it will be practical for the family and friends to bring their own container, as some as a distance away from the apiary.

    So you recommend glass over plastic? I understand that glass is more expensive to ship than plastic, but can it be shipped safely, if wrapped securely, lets say from TX to NY?

    Thank you

  10. #9

    Default Re: Most Common Jar Size

    Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    GG; This year I would not like the traffic and contact that would come with the BYO bottling gig!

    Will have to see if Costco/Walmart uses the canning jars as a loss leader this year. Maybe canning jars will be like bread yeast.
    Thank you

  11. #10

    Default Re: Most Common Jar Size

    How about a container recommendation for comb?

    Thank you

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,512

    Default Re: Most Common Jar Size

    I do not ship my honey, it is quite heavy. Sorry if My advice is less than optimal.
    I do like glass, and mostly market local.

    to me if it was that far away the shipping cost could be used to buy more local honey, illiogical to ship..

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,512

    Default Re: Most Common Jar Size

    Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    GG; This year I would not like the traffic and contact that would come with the BYO bottling gig!

    Will have to see if Costco/Walmart uses the canning jars as a loss leader this year. Maybe canning jars will be like bread yeast.
    I some what meant family and friends who would be over any way. By Fall this Isolation will be fading.

    GG

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Aylett, Virginia
    Posts
    5,381

    Default Re: Most Common Jar Size

    If I were selling comb honey, I would use the contaners specifically made for it, and use the cutter that is sold to cut the squares. For family and friends, I use the cheap Rubbemaid flat containers I get at the supermarket. They hold half of a medium frame. The lid is not tight enough for shipping, so it is strictly hand delivery. For chunk comb honey, wide mouth pint mason jars.

    GG, honey from one's own bees makes a great gift. The cost of shipping is a secondary concern. Making sure it arrives with all the honey still in the jar and not in the box is paramount.

  15. #14

    Default Re: Most Common Jar Size

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    I do not ship my honey, it is quite heavy. Sorry if My advice is less than optimal.
    I do like glass, and mostly market local.

    to me if it was that far away the shipping cost could be used to buy more local honey, illiogical to ship..
    Thank you! Your advice is very valuable. I appreciate it.

  16. #15

    Default Re: Most Common Jar Size

    Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    If I were selling comb honey, I would use the contaners specifically made for it, and use the cutter that is sold to cut the squares. For family and friends, I use the cheap Rubbemaid flat containers I get at the supermarket. They hold half of a medium frame. The lid is not tight enough for shipping, so it is strictly hand delivery. For chunk comb honey, wide mouth pint mason jars.

    GG, honey from one's own bees makes a great gift. The cost of shipping is a secondary concern. Making sure it arrives with all the honey still in the jar and not in the box is paramount.

    GG, honey from one's own bees makes a great gift. The cost of shipping is a secondary concern. Making sure it arrives with all the honey still in the jar and not in the box is paramount Excellent point, this is exactly where we stand. My relatives have a small apiary, they want to share the honey and comb with friends and family first, maybe sell or donate some excess. I am sure many of their friends and family will be pleased to receive the honey from TX, like Mom's cooking, tastes good enough to ship across the world!

    @jwpalmer Is this the sort of honeycomb cutter you are referring to https://www.dadant.com/catalog/m0093...xoCup4QAvD_BwE

    Thank you

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Aylett, Virginia
    Posts
    5,381

    Default Re: Most Common Jar Size

    @jwpalmer Is this the sort of honeycomb cutter you are referring to https://www.dadant.com/catalog/m0093...xoCup4QAvD_BwE

    Thank you
    Yep.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

  18. #17
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Spokane County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Most Common Jar Size

    We send honey to many relatives for Christmas. We find that some 1 lb. queenline plastic jars fit nicely in the small USPS flat rate boxes. Some of them don't fit well, they are too fat, so make sure before you buy.

    We fit the honey and a 2 oz tin of a beeswax salve we make in there, and it ships for about $8.00. Not "worth it" except for gifting, but it is always appreciated.
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

  19. #18

    Default Re: Most Common Jar Size

    Good day,

    I tried to order about 24 queenline glass jars 8, 16 and 32 oz each to be shipped from one of the major suppliers located in PA, to be shipped to the Houston, TX area.

    However, the freight, whether just regular UPS ground or a pallet shipped by truck is about the same cost as the glass jars, a couple of hundred dollars!

    Any thoughts on finding local sources (Houston TX area) for queenline or similar glass jars (maybe 12 8oz and 12 16oz)

    Thank you

  20. #19

    Default Re: Most Common Jar Size

    I was able to get some queenline and other shaped glass jars from a local bee keeper who has a store, and orders from the big bee keeping suppliers.

    The prices were reasonable, some were catalog prices, others were a bit higher than catalog prices, e.g. from Mann Lake.

    Thank you for your help

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •