Purchased Queen Never Laid An Egg

Default Purchased Queen Never Laid An Egg

I purchased a queen from a reputable breeder online as I wanted to try certain genetics and queen arrived in great form July 5. I introduced in queen cage and she had been released 3 days later when I checked. Since I've opened the hive three times checking for eggs and there isn't a single egg or larvae from the new queen. I dispatched the old queen and the hive (double 8 frame deeps with all drawn comb) is still treating her well. I always seem to find her on an outside frame and her marking has nearly been chewed off. I've only got a few hives and only ordered one queen as I wanted to try these certain genetics. I contacted the owner from where I purchased it and asked about him replacing this queen and he replied asking if there was any honey in the hive as he's seen a hygienic trait where they will quit laying if no honey or feed and as soon as they are fed they will take off. I replied and told him yes there were four frames of honey in the hive as I didn't harvest it all and plenty of pollen and I'm actually feeding as I have two nucs at the yard. He never replied back to me.

My question, anything else I can do to help the situation here? Also, am I asking too much for him to replace a queen that isn't laying eggs? She wasn't cheap...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Purchased Queen Never Laid An Egg

That's one of the big problems with buying queens. You can never tell which ones are going to be a dud. I think part of it has to do with them pulling the queens to fast out of the mating nucs. However who knows exactly there are lots of factors. I would think it's pretty much the norm for suppliers to not replace queens once they are in the care of another beek. Not saying it's right just that it's kinda the way it works. Sorry about your luck though bud. Don't give her too long. If she don't lay combine them with one of your other hives.

On the other hand:
    We buy box after box of queens, introduce them properly and have very, very few problems.
    All queen producers are not the same.
    Their genetics aren't the same, their employees don't handle queens the same, their training isn't the same.
    You can't rely on hearsay or hype when selecting a queen producer. Go with a solid track record as reported by your local commercial beekeepers.
    My $0.02
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

Quote Originally Posted by jad0001 View Post
    I purchased a queen from a reputable breeder online as I wanted to try certain genetics and queen arrived in great form July 5. I introduced in queen cage and she had been released 3 days later when I checked. Since I've opened the hive three times checking for eggs and there isn't a single egg or larvae from the new queen. I dispatched the old queen and the hive (double 8 frame deeps with all drawn comb) is still treating her well. I always seem to find her on an outside frame and her marking has nearly been chewed off. I've only got a few hives and only ordered one queen as I wanted to try these certain genetics. I contacted the owner from where I purchased it and asked about him replacing this queen and he replied asking if there was any honey in the hive as he's seen a hygienic trait where they will quit laying if no honey or feed and as soon as they are fed they will take off. I replied and told him yes there were four frames of honey in the hive as I didn't harvest it all and plenty of pollen and I'm actually feeding as I have two nucs at the yard. He never replied back to me.

My question, anything else I can do to help the situation here? Also, am I asking too much for him to replace a queen that isn't laying eggs? She wasn't cheap...
    A similar situation happened with me, but started feeding 1:1 and that finally got her going, this was a new split.
    Proverbs 16:24

I have had bought queens that didn't lay for three weeks...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Update: I finally found eggs in the hive after another week and was bummed to see multiple eggs in cells but the queen was still there. I gave it enough time to see what kind of brood it was and sure enough when I opened it today all I found was drone brood, multiple eggs in cells and the queen?
    I’m confused as she is a good sized queen and appears to be mated but certainly not laying. Or the bees are pulling her eggs and laying their own?
    Not quite sure what to do here other than pinch her and combine this hive with another via newspaper.
    Any other suggestions?

Been there, done that I had three purchased queens this season lay not a single egg (same supplier). Ultimately, removed them & gave them a bath. As vtbeeguy said, its the risk usually the buyer takes. She is either a drone layer (my vote), or since she isn't laying eggs, the workers are? In my case, I let one of the queens ride it out for 5 weeks, just to see what would happen. Ultimately, what was left was a handful of bees and a queen. Depending how long it has been & looking at the calendar, I would remove her and shake everybody out of the hive and remove the colony. Not sure if I would risk/go through the trouble of combining, but I guess that depends on how many frames of bees/resources are in the colony.
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.